outrigger poles disassembly

runeme

Reaction score
I have what I assume are the original aluminum outrigger poles on a 94 25' Sailfish. Anyone know how to take them apart? I tried some channel locks but could not get any of the sections to budge. Thanks.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 95 Islander and had the same issue. I tried heat, penetrating lube, two pipe wrenches and even clamped one end in a bench vice until deforming the tubing but most did not come apart. Keep them together until you can buy new ones then use anti-sieze on them and exercise them every month.

UpGrady

Reaction score
I have the same problem with mine. Would like to replace a guide that broke and I cannot get the sections removed! Anyone with ideas?!?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have use white grease on my outriggers each year and never had a problem with them - missed last year and I had to use two vice grips and lots of WD40 to get them apart - will definitely be part of my spring and mid summer regimin going forward

runeme

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, bummer that I may not be able to disassemble. How are they put together, just friction set, or are they threaded?

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
they are screwed togther. all you can do it keep trying, I used some rubber hose on each side, put it in a vice and worked it back and forth , took all day but I got em apart without damaging them. Alum corrosion is like concrete.

if you get em apart, apply woody wax liberally when you put them back togther, soak the ends and the parts that insert into each other good and hose clamp a 3/4 peice of hose over the seams. They will never get stuck again.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How about a nice thin bead of clear silicone caulk over the seam to prevent water intrusion? Cut it with a knife when ready to disassemble.

runeme

Reaction score
Fantastic idea with the hose, I will try that and see if I can get them apart.