Outrigger rigging upgrade

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Now that the holidays are behind, I can get down to my list of things to do when we start to thaw around here in a few months. This boat is my first boat with Outriggers, Lee Sidewinders with fixed poles. I only got to experiment with them twice and saw there needs to be some improvements. They need to be re-rigged and was hoping for some help from experienced users.

1. Should I replace the dacron line or go with 400# mono?
2. I've seen small pulleys attached to the pole top eyelets. Pro / Con?
3. What kind (Roller / Pin?) and what manufacturer (Rupp, Aftco, Tigress) make the best release clips?

I currently have these and have tried to adjust / loosen them up but they don't release well.

Attachments

• 61DS6Ra0DgL._SY355_.jpg
    61DS6Ra0DgL._SY355_.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 3,304

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have used both mono and dacron, prefer the dacron.
I have the pulleys on my outriggers, seems to work much better. Be sure they are stainless steel rollers.
I have used three different kinds, they all work fine, go with what you prefer.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
g0tagrip said:
I have used both mono and dacron, prefer the dacron.
I have the pulleys on my outriggers, seems to work much better. Be sure they are stainless steel rollers.
I have used three different kinds, they all work fine, go with what you prefer.

Have done the same and now use dacron. Recommend two different colors for the long and short riggers - much easier for those less-experienced folks on board when one is red and the other is blue, or black.

Get small pulleys in the sailboat rigging section of the marine hardware store. I use a double block where the two rigger lines go up, then single blocks where each turn around.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'll check out the Spyderline before buying new dacron but won't go mono.

I have Aftco Flat Line Clips and like the way they release so I'll replace the Rupps with the Aftco Roller Trollers.

And I will put a small pulley at the top of the pole and switch out the glass ring with a Hal-Lock Pulley. The lines did move on me.

Good tip on the different color rigging lines. I'm staying with single rig for now but would do this if I add another later.

Thanks all.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
everwhom said:
I highly recommend 1.8mm New England Rope Spyderline, Hal Lock Pulleys, and AFTCO roller trollers

I second the spyderline. different colors for long vs short is also good advise.

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
have used parachute cord (two different colors for short and long rigger), halocks, sail boat pulleys, and those same release clips that you showed. The screw on one end is coarse adjustment and the one on the opposite end is fine tension adjustment.

If they don't open, loosen the screws as much as possible and lubricate them and try to open them, I not buy new ones- they are with it

1998sailfish

Reaction score
everwhom said:
I highly recommend 1.8mm New England Rope Spyderline, Hal Lock Pulleys, and AFTCO roller trollers

I use the same setup. Highly recommended !! I have used the dacron as well as the 400# mono. 1.8 Spyderline with Hal Locks is a done deal. I run this on my center rigger as well.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I use the mono and it does ok. However, I am intrigued by the spyderline dyneema.

How would this work pulling through the eyelets, not using pulleys? How do you tie these off? Do you use crimps?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This is how mine was rigged when I bought my boat. Seems typical and when I re-rig, I'll deconstruct the knots and try to duplicate unless someone shows me a better way.

Attachments

• 20160118_181809_resized_1.jpg
    20160118_181809_resized_1.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 3,109

fellinger

Reaction score
Good content, guys. I am re-rigging this year too. I am going from single to double. What knots are you using to rig?

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use a round turn and 2 half hitches on the end that goes right to the top of the rigger. On the other side (the one that comes down to the hal lock pulley) I use a rolling hitch: http://www.animatedknots.com/rollinghitch/index.php The rolling hitch allows me to adjust the tension on the line. I used to use the swivel trick outlined here: https://georgepoveromo.com/content.php?pid=49 , but found it can be a huge pain to get the line through the swivel and the swivel has to be just the right size. By the way, the spyderline is incredibly durable. I've done 3 or 4 seasons without changing it out and it shows no signs of wear yet.

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have used the techniques described by George Perveromo on several boats that I rigged with parachute cord or dacron. I found that you don't have to use the smallest swivel, you can use a bigger swivel and then squeeze the swivel down a bit with pliers- his technique/set up works really well

NO REGRETS

Reaction score
:lol:

Attachments

• rigger clips.jpg
    rigger clips.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2,817
  • SMITH CARBON FIBER RIGGERS 001.jpg
    SMITH CARBON FIBER RIGGERS 001.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,817