Outrigger setup - Through Gunnel tensioner

MRT

Reaction score
Thinking of converting to the through gunnel set up for my out riggers this year. Not sure where the best spot is to mount the came cleat as it seems the under gunnel rod holders would be in the way. Any suggestions/pictures?

Thanks,

Matt

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
the best position on the gunnel lengthwise, is probably where your current or proposed saddle would be to attach the outrigger halyards .....only up on top on the flats....probably in the middle.
I then attach the jam cleat on the inside immediately below the hole in the gunnel.
It shouldn't interfere with rods or gaffs as it is well inside these, and you would not usually need to adjust it often.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My jam cleat is under the gunnel low enough to easily reach but not so low as to get in the way of the gaffs. I'd guess about 3-4 inches down.
They also installed a black rubber or plastic grommet where the tag end passes through the gunnel for a neat look. This tag attaches to the bottom of a sailboat pulley and appears about 1/4 to 1/3 inches thick for good gripping. It also has a simple knot at the end to keep it from pullout out of the jam cleat.

One of these days I will remember to take my camera down and snap some pix. Many have asked.

Team Victoria

Reaction score
on line they run about $160 each,,,i think,,,hard to tell from the web site but the All Tackle shop in Ocean City has a tech number,,,i just haven't called yet to see.

12826-B Ocean Gateway

West Ocean City, MD 21842

410-213-2840

1-866-465-8862 toll free

Team Victoria

Reaction score
and just a fast after thought,,,i have looked around on line and at shows and haven't seen anything quiet as slick. What have you seen??? Paul

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That lookslike a nice and neat unit that seems easy to install and will look very clean when installed on the boat. May have to invest in that this season. Thanks for the post of the link.