Outriggers for a 226

kendcc

Reaction score
Hi Folks, was wondering if anyone had some ideas for outriggers for a 226? I'd rather not go to the extent of mounting in my hard top, and was hoping there may be some solutions that can use existing gunwale rod holders. Considering rod riggers, but am thinking I'd rather look into proper outriggers.

Would love to hear of some cost effective creative solutions any of you may have tried.

Many thanks!

(69 days 'till splash!)

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you currently have gunnel mount rod holders? If you do, find out what diameter they are. More then likely if you do, they are from lee since that is who Grady has used for a long time, but that does not mean the outriggers need to be the same brand, just the same size. A 15' pole is what you want, not larger. For your needs and a boat that size that is your best bet without having a hardtop. There are many makes, taco, lee, rupp, they all make what you are looking for. If you plan to keep the outriggers up year round, keep in mind you will want a heavier pole that is more ridgid, some of the gunnel mount outriggers flex a lot, it all depends on what poles you buy. Oftern, ebay is a good spot to get new ones for a reasonable price, just make sure they are gunnel mounts and not t top mounts.

As for telescoping vs screw in, a screw in might be better, I've seen telescoping outriggers fold down underway when gunnel mounted, never a problem off a t top, but they do allow you to run with them stowed and then extend them on the grounds, to me more work...once your out there I want to fish, not spend 5 min untangling the lines and extending the outriggers personally, thast might not bother you if you do not plan to use them all the time. Lee and rupp make good outriggers, taco's are a little cheaper but aa good deal for the price typically. If you know what your looking for ie what size/brands and models that will make your search easier, but ebay might be your best bet if you want to save some money.

jfmagana

Reaction score
I mounted the outriggers on the hardtop. Installation was actually very easy and quite sturdy/rugged. I like that they are out of the way and simple to deploy. Only downside I can think of is that when I fish tuna, I'd like to have the outriggers running lower (i.e., closer to the surface of the water). Here's a picture of my set-up...little hard to see, but if you look closely, you can see the Lee's outriggers on the hardtop:

P1010004.jpg

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's what I thought they might be. I'm really interested if there needed to be reinforcement to mount and how easy they are to set in place.