Outriggers Hard Top vs Side mounted

Sinclair

Reaction score
Guys,

Could someone post up some pics of a set of Lee Junior outriggers folded up and extended down. I'm in the process of adding outriggers and I'm trying to weigh out the advantages of the side mount to the hard top mount.

I have a 91 Sailfish that I'm installing these on. Any pics of Sailfish's with either would be wonderful.

If anyone has any pro's or con's concerning the two I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sinclair :D

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Most Grady hardtops cannot support top mounts unless done by the factory or custom built. To support top mounts, you need to add a 1/4" aluminum backing plate that will be welded to the hardtop supports across the whole width of where the outrigger bases will be mounted. Using the backingplates sold by the outrigger companies will not work, most Grady hardtops are cored to save weight, but do not have the strength or support for top mounts, and those who ignore it find cracks in their hardtops. I'd call Grady to ask about your hardtop and the installation, not all hardtops are cored but most were. To weld the plate in, any wires in the hardtop need to be removed, the heat from the welding will melt them. You will also likely lose the life jacket pack on the hardtop if you have one due to the aluminum plate, sometimes you can force it back up. If you install side mount lee jr's you need to install where Grady has placed a backing plate in the side of the house, they can send you a template so that when you drill they are placed in the correct location and are supported correctly, regardless of your choice, calling Grady is a must to do the job right. Personally I am a fan of lee jr's, I agree on some models they can be in the way, my model especially, the 265 Express. But they also offer another great place to hold onto when going forward. If you pass under bridges, lee jr's might be a pain to lower all the time, but otherwise IMHO would be well worth the money. Hardtop mounts do not look as nice, but many are not as sturdy as lee jr's and flex more, stiffer outriggers are better for trolling, especially if you are pulling spreader bars or big baits. Some hardtop mount brands recommend running with them retracted instead of extended, that can be a pain with all the lines and such. I know many who leave them extended, but if the proper aluminum plate was not used, that is even more of a problem and it WILL then cause major problems with your hardtop from the stress it will cause. If I were you, contact Grady and ask about both options to see what they say, see how much work each will involve, that may make your choice for you, if both are equal in work, then decide money and quality and see what suits you best.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat (literally) and have been waffeling between the gunnel, t-top, and lee's. I already have gunnel bases (from an unknown manufacturer) but when they're not being used it's just more stuff to store. T-tops retract and keep out of the way but are not as strong as the jr's. I don't think the corners of the hard-tops are cored but I wouldn't trust it to hold up to the strain of outriggers. The jr's are tough (and look the best too) but will be a PIA because there is a bridge that would have to open for me everytime that's on a 1/2 hour schedule.

pablor

Reaction score
Lee has now retractable sidemounted bases for fixed outriggers. I put them on my 360 last month. You press a lever and one of the legs telescopes in and they go lower than the hardtop. Really cool and quick to go under bridges. You dont have to mess with any halyards either.

Pablo

Sinclair

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help!!

Gradyfish22, do you have any pics with your outriggers extended out??

Again, I appreciate the help!

Sinclair :D

Fishtales

Reaction score
The factory does install a plate support that is welded to the outside frame of the hardtop frame (outside the enclosure), so the hardtop storage area is not affected.

Unfortunately, this is a factory option and to weld them in you would need to remove the wires in the frame as indicated and also isolate the hardtop (unbolt and put something that wouldn't be affected by the welding heat transfer as well as isolate the top.
My dealer has indicated that they have done many (showed me 3 boats) that they have installed the hardtop outriggers with the backing plates and tube spacers (so the bolts don't compress the hardtop) and indicate this is done quite frequently without a problem. Why this plate isn't standard is beyond me. If they did, it would be a bolt on addition.

I'm on the fence... I have the GS270s ready to go per above, but will talk with a local fab shop to see what it would cost to install the welded supports which you can get from the hardtop frame manufacturer. If too much, I'm going to take a shot without. Will let you know...

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do not have pictures of them extended but if the boats next to me are not in on Monday I will take some, they have not gone in yet, otherwise my outriggers will hit their boats. When folded out they are on about a 15 degree angle from the water so you get much of the length to spread the lines, having them low to the water is not always good, depending on the lures you pull, for spreader bars we set them a little higher to keep the bar out of the water. They fold up and down very easily with one guy and when stored are as well secured as any outrigger can be and have no flex due to the hardtop mount latches Grady uses. With my outriggers, my I unattach my halyard and reattach it on my wishbone's, there is a small circular hole to reattach them, and my they fit nice and snug with how I rig them, that keeps the lines out of my way when I a not offshore using them, but keeps lines from tangling and kinking. I've been on boats with hardtop mounts where they retract them all the time and the line always kinks and is never the same, plus I've seen them balled in a mess before, especially if they are double rigged. That takes up time to untangle them and get them ready, mine take about 10 seconds and I'm ready to go with no need to rerig them. IMHO, I'd go with lee jr's if you plan to use the outriggers a bit, the only reason I would not buy them is if you go under a lot of bridges and they will become a nuisance.