Outriggers on a 275 Freedom. Where do you connect the halyards?

Horn985

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I just installed outriggers on my Freedom 275. My question is where do you connect the halyards when running and trolling? Is there anywhere that works for both or do you change location when running and trolling. I installed the Taco 380 bases and the Geronimo 16ft carbon fiber poles.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have since switched to GemLux Deluxe stainless rigger bases but the setup was not otherwise changed. The Hayward are equal length 400lb blue mono (dual roller at top). Rupp haylocks with a medium snap on it. When layed out the clip attaches to the ring/line on the gunnel which has a cam cleat underneath. This tensions the haylard and allows riggers to be a little higher or lower yet still tight. For stowing I have a short bungee cord for each side. This is clipped in to the Hayward, wraps around the rigger base and slips over the hardtop rod holder.

Haylard Tensioner.jpeg Rigger Lines Setup.jpeg Rigger Layout.jpeg New base 2.jpeg New base.jpeg

The geometry on equal length rigger halyards is so much better than a short and a long. On a short and long setup run your clips up to the top while you have trolling baits out. The short wraps around the long and goes up to the short rigger ring (look at Rigger Layout.jpeg). With my setup you have none of that. You just remember to position it where it should be and lock it. Another benefit is equal length halyards are easier to wrap up and stow off season or when traveling. They also stow better when wrapping around rigger base and bungee cording down.

Rigger Layout equal.jpeg Rigger Layout short long.jpeg

The stainless thru-deck fairlead can be a little hard to find. GemLux has one at best price. Cam cleats with line guides are all over. There are also Abaco Outriggers that make a bracket with a cam cleat and the fairlead.

Attachments

• Rigger Stowed.jpeg
    Rigger Stowed.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Boats with hardtop riggers that I have been on that attach the halyards to the hardtop support when trolling are a real pain. These guys are afraid to drill holes in the gunnel to place an anchor point. I would place the anchor point a short distance bow side off the rod holder used for the trolling rod.

Horn985

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have since switched to GemLux Deluxe stainless rigger bases but the setup was not otherwise changed. The Hayward are equal length 400lb blue mono (dual roller at top). Rupp haylocks with a medium snap on it. When layed out the clip attaches to the ring/line on the gunnel which has a cam cleat underneath. This tensions the haylard and allows riggers to be a little higher or lower yet still tight. For stowing I have a short bungee cord for each side. This is clipped in to the Hayward, wraps around the rigger base and slips over the hardtop rod holder.

View attachment 33486 View attachment 33488 View attachment 33487 View attachment 33491 View attachment 33492

The geometry on equal length rigger halyards is so much better than a short and a long. On a short and long setup run your clips up to the top while you have trolling baits out. The short wraps around the long and goes up to the short rigger ring (look at Rigger Layout.jpeg). With my setup you have none of that. You just remember to position it where it should be and lock it. Another benefit is equal length halyards are easier to wrap up and stow off season or when traveling. They also stow better when wrapping around rigger base and bungee cording down.

View attachment 33495 View attachment 33494

The stainless thru-deck fairlead can be a little hard to find. GemLux has one at best price. Cam cleats with line guides are all over. There are also Abaco Outriggers that make a bracket with a cam cleat and the fairlead.
Thanks! That is a big help. I was hoping to find one connection point while running and trolling but not sure that is possible.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks! That is a big help. I was hoping to find one connection point while running and trolling but not sure that is possible.
You can run with the the halyards clipped down to the cord on the gunnel. The haylard gets in the way at the dock so I always disconnect when done fishing and wrap around rigger up top. It's easy to do/undo.

Some guys are nervous about drilling a hole in their boat. The stainless fairlead thru the gunnel is small and neat. This rigger setup is how most of the big tournament boats do it. Difference is no equal length halyards (different rigger mounting, length and height changes geometry). They run long, short, teaser halyard and a block for dredge on rigger.

Last edited:

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My hardtop mounted rigger halyards are attached to the rocket launcher when running and not in use. They stay out of the way this way. When deployed the attach low down on the hardtop leg.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My hardtop mounted rigger halyards are attached to the rocket launcher when running and not in use. They stay out of the way this way. When deployed the attach low down on the hardtop leg.
With a walk around like mine that doesn't work. I don't want to climb over the halyards to get to the bow - which is frequent.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
I attach to the gunnel as I am tall. I run offshore with the riggers out one notch. When I get to the grounds I spin them out and start fishing. I use the povermo method to adjust tension. I also have a loop on the top I attach to When trailering and everything is out of the way...I also use glass rings for simplicity..mine do not creep much.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
With a walk around like mine that doesn't work. I don't want to climb over the halyards to get to the bow - which is frequent.
I have an express and go to the bow often. When the outriggers are not deployed the halyards are attached to the the rocket launcher on the hardtop and are completely out of the way. When the outriggers are deployed the halyards drop down and the bungee cord pully system is attached to the lower part of the hardtop leg. I guess I have never had the need to go to the bow while trolling with the riggers out.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have an express and go to the bow often. When the outriggers are not deployed the halyards are attached to the the rocket launcher on the hardtop and are completely out of the way. When the outriggers are deployed the halyards drop down and the bungee cord pully system is attached to the lower part of the hardtop leg. I guess I have never had the need to go to the bow while trolling with the riggers out.
I guess if it's in the right place and low enough you can step over it.

When I'm sailfishing the riggers are out. I frequently have a sea anchor out too which I deploy and retrieve from the bow 6 to 12 times a day.

Sometimes the windlass gives me grief when I put too much line out and the anchor locker needs to be leveled. Most days its fine.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I guess if it's in the right place and low enough you can step over it.

When I'm sailfishing the riggers are out. I frequently have a sea anchor out too which I deploy and retrieve from the bow 6 to 12 times a day.

Sometimes the windlass gives me grief when I put too much line out and the anchor locker needs to be leveled. Most days its fine.
My needs are a little different. We don't sailfish or use a sea anchor. While trolling we have never really needed to go to the bow. If drifting and using the outriggers they are usually kept straight back so you could theoretically walk around the halyard.