overboard drain replacemnt

Reaction score
Front drain by passenger seat broken and disconnected from deck. Drain elbow is now laying below decks, which will allow water to drain into the bilge instead of overboard. I can turn the discharge brass fitting on outside of the hull and figured I could pull the fitting and drain hose through and reconnect, but the 90* fitting is hanging up. Would appreciate any suggestions on how to repair.

Boat is an 87 204 walkaround.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Had the same thing happen on my 88 24 offshore. I replaced mine with stainless fittings. They are actually sink drains. I used the same plastic elbow. I have a pie plate just above the drain hose under the seat compartment that I accessed the hose. I can’t remember if I had to cut the hose to get it out the access hole. I think the hose barb on the elbow is 1inch and the thread is also. Not sure if yours is different.

seasick

Reaction score
I think you are saying that you loosened the thru hull fitting ( to the outer hull) and it had a 90 degree elbow. If so, you need to get that out because it will have to be rebed with sealant. It is possible that the 90 degree elbow is threaded into the inside of the thru hull. You will not be able to remove that from the outside. If you can't get to the back of the fitting, you are going to have to cut a hole to work on it and later install an access plate.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've decided to jury rig a repair rather than doing "surgery" on the deck. It's not a critical part and isn't subjected to a lot of water. Just one of those annoying little things that come up on an older boat. For sake of a few dollars I can't understand why Grady didn't go with more robust fittings instead of plastic.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yup and the lack of access is a bitch...

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've decided to jury rig a repair rather than doing "surgery" on the deck. It's not a critical part and isn't subjected to a lot of water. Just one of those annoying little things that come up on an older boat. For sake of a few dollars I can't understand why Grady didn't go with more robust fittings instead of plastic.
How many things do you own that lasted 33 years:)
I would sat that the plastic held up quite well. I think the issue is that it lasts so long, Grady didn't see the need to build in easier access.