Overheat/poppet valve and trim tabs

Hookster57

Reaction score
So I've been getting the overheat at idle problem and decided to limp the boat over to thr marina 6 miles away. For the first time, I flushed the engines with Salt Away the last time I used her. On the way to the mechanic the engine never overheated. I let it idle for another 25 minutes and nothing happened. He said the salt away must have freed up the valve. Guess that stuff really does work. Another problem happened. Couldn't get the port trim tab to move. The mechanic said both the actuators are leaking (on both tabs) and I should replace them. $100 each. How's that sound?

seasick

Reaction score
If they are Bennetts and that quote includes labor, that is a decent price, 100 each.

ahill

Reaction score
I just redid poppet valves, housing & hose.
Mine were very salty so I sprayed Saltaway on them. Results were minimal.
At the suggestion of a forum member I used white vinegar and that provided dramatically better and far cheaper results.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
Hookster57 said:
The mechanic said both the actuators are leaking (on both tabs) and I should replace them. $100 each. How's that sound?

If you have your boat on a trailer, you might be able to repair the ones you have. My starboard actuator developed a leak a few years ago so I gave Bennett a call just to find out what my options were and they sent me new o-rings and installation instructions at no charge. There is a heck of a stout spring in the actuator so it really helps to have 2 people but other than that, the repair is very straight forward. My wife gave me a hand and I don't think it took more than a half hour per actuator to replace the o-rings.