Overheating

Bobh651

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 2000 226 Seafarer and have an alarm going off at slow speeds. The telltale is showing water coming out of the engine. The impeller was replaced last year. Any suggestions would be helpful.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Pull and check t-stats for proper opening operation and surrounding/interior area for salt clog.

Pull and check impeller/housing/plates. Don't assume it's good because it was replaced last year.

Reactions: igblack87

seasick

Reaction score
If it is a 2 stroke, SX model, a stuck open poppet valve can result in overheating at low revs. One way to check after getting an alarm is to raise the revs and see if the alarm goes away.

seasick

Reaction score
If the motor does not overheat at speed but does at idle and the pee stream looks to be the normal force at idle, you may have a stuck open poppet valve. It is a bit tricky to replace and it is important to note the order and orientations of the parts when disassembling. There is a stiff spring inside and if you are not careful the cover can pop off and spit out the internal parts:)
Om my SX, I have to remove the ECU to get access to the poppet valve.

Bobh651

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
engine info?
It’s a 2000 2 stroke engine model sx200txry
If the motor does not overheat at speed but does at idle and the pee stream looks to be the normal force at idle, you may have a stuck open poppet valve. It is a bit tricky to replace and it is important to note the order and orientations of the parts when disassembling. There is a stiff spring inside and if you are not careful the cover can pop off and spit out the internal parts:)
Om my SX, I have to remove the ECU to get access to the poppet valve.
Thanks for your feedback.

Jamato14

Reaction score
I have a 2000 226 Seafarer and have an alarm going off at slow speeds. The telltale is showing water coming out of the engine. The impeller was replaced last year. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Poppet valve. I did the same thing with mine resealing the lower and replacing the water pump, it didn’t resolve it (although I needed to do it), also replaced all thermostats with no luck. I replaced the poppet valve this winter and it fixed it.

Bobh651

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Poppet valve. I did the same thing with mine resealing the lower and replacing the water pump, it didn’t resolve it (although I needed to do it), also replaced all thermostats with no luck. I replaced the poppet valve this winter and it fixed it.