Overnight power for 265 Express / Honda Portable Generator

Tunateaser

Reaction score
Would anyone know if I were to buy a portable Honda generator if I would be able to plug in my 30amp shore power cord to it and have power for an overnight trip? Would this run all electronics, microwave, spreader lights and so on?

Thank You

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Use a Marinco 83A adapter to plug in to the shorepower inlet, then use a heavy duty extension cord from the Honda generator.

An EU1000 should easily handle all the loads you have listed.

We use an EU2000 because I installed a 6,500-BTU A/C unit. It will run the A/C and everything else except the water heater.

Brian

jehines3

Reaction score
My microwave alone is 1000Watts. For the small incremental cost go with the 2000i and the adpater you can run more loads and be less concerned about tripping. If if you want to go over the top you could use the 3000i without the adapter since it has a 30A twist lock. jh

Tunateaser

Reaction score
Thanks Gentlemen, This helps tremendously. Gonna try the EU 1000 as I only need the spreader lights, electronics and possible the hydroglow light.

Many Thanks, Dan

Comfortably Numb

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
Use a Marinco 83A adapter to plug in to the shorepower inlet, then use a heavy duty extension cord from the Honda generator.

An EU1000 should easily handle all the loads you have listed.

We use an EU2000 because I installed a 6,500-BTU A/C unit. It will run the A/C and everything else except the water heater.

Brian

On my Marlin with the 2000i, I cannot run the generator on econo mode if I'm using the A/C. Not enough juice for when the compressor kicks on.

Are you able to run the A/C while the generator is in econo mode?

Tunateaser

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I took John's advice and went with the EU2000. I hooked it up last evening as a test and she ran beautifully, powered all electronics, spreader lights, additional spot, Hydroglow Tuna light, radios and so on. I ran it in econo mode and the unit did not blink.

John, To answer your question I bought it from a local dealer who I bought several chain saws and a mower from. He charged me 955 for the unit which I think was very reasonable.

Thanks all for your advise on this item.

Dan

ahill

Reaction score
Good price WITH local service.
As with your outboards take every ethanol precaution.
I plan on draining the fuel and running dry if it won't be used regularly.

GTOMAN

Reaction score
OVERNIGHT POWER FOR 265 EXPRESS/HONDA PORTABLE GENERATOR

I would like to get the Honda 2000 to power the A/C on my 272 Sailfish. I would not be using the water heater or the microwave. Should I be able to make it through the night on the standard gas tank, or should I buy the auxilary gas tank that is an accesory item? I have never heard one of these run. Are they quiet enough to not be a distraction to me in the cabin? I presume the generator sits close to the shore power outlet, which is on the starboard side just inside the transom on the Sailfish. I don't see how there could be a danger of carbon monoxide to me up in the closed cabin. Do you use a detector, just to be sure? Is there any problem with vibration causing the unit to "walk" in the boat? How big is the cord you run from the generator to the adapter? Does the generator need to be covered to be protected from the night dampness or a rain shower?

ahill

Reaction score
have a Sailfish and place mine on the starboard integral swim platform (Eurotransom) on a piece of rubber nonskid. If the deck is wet it will walk. I use a cord and tie it to a camel back. I'd be uncomfortable with it running in the cockpit. I also fabricated a a canopy for it that snaps to the transom door, gunwale and a post set in a railmount near the stb motor. Makes it even quieter. I cannot get twelve hrs on eco switch with the std tank running a 5,000 btu ac unit. I got a 6 gal Duration tank and now don't have to worry about nightime refueling.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We use our EU2000 on the stbd swim platform. I open the tuna door and put the generator in that spot. Tie it to the handrail.

Use a short, heavy duty extension cord to connect to Marinco 83A adapter in the shorepower inlet box.

Unit will carry A/C in ECON mode. Just runs up to normal speed when compressor starts. However, our A/C is a Mermaid Marine Air 6,500-BTU and I have actually gotten it running on our 1,000-watt inverter - fully loaded and not maintainable, but still did it.

DEFINITELY get a CO detector for the main cabin.

I also have, and use, a Duration Tank to avoid the need to refuel during the night.

Brian

jehines3

Reaction score
Tunateaser said:
Gentlemen,

I took John's advice and went with the EU2000. I hooked it up last evening as a test and she ran beautifully, powered all electronics, spreader lights, additional spot, Hydroglow Tuna light, radios and so on. I ran it in econo mode and the unit did not blink.

John, To answer your question I bought it from a local dealer who I bought several chain saws and a mower from. He charged me 955 for the unit which I think was very reasonable.

Thanks all for your advise on this item.

Dan

Good deal, it's the cheapest 1000Watts you can buy. The first 1000 watts being the most expensive of course. Although their 3000i unit is double the price of the 2000i. I'd rather buy two 2000's and the parallel cord if I needed 3000W. Not sure what Honda was thinking there? jh