Overnighter 206G

BigI

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a 1987 206G with the original 150 hp yamaha on it.

I searched through the forums looking for problems to watch out for. I didn't find much on this particular model. Can anyone help w/ a little guidance?

Thanks!

BigI

Reaction score
I found some good info on transom issues but they were all on the cut out transom. Has anyone had problems w/ the G transom?

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BigI - I have an 89 204C and am not familiar with your model. However, being on this forum for the last couple of years has taught me that ALL Grady's could have water penetration problems that can rot out the transom, cause deck plates to be soft and rot the bottom of the bulkhead to the cabin. It can also cause stringer problems but I've seen few posts with this problem. Do a search on CDWOOD as the author of posts - he recently posted pics of his transom repair, which, by the way, were great.

Gary 89 Overnighter

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Forgot to say to have the boat surveyed by a Grady knowledgable surveyor.

You didn't mention asking price but keep in mind that a motor that old has little value and the hull not much more. To get an idea, go to NADA.com. Further, electronics and other add-ons don't increase the value much, either. However, there are other things such as a full enclosure, helm cover, or hard top, that you may be willing to pay extra for.

We often see discussions about power on that hull and 150 is probably the minimum. 175 is often cited as the optimum power. I have a 2000 Johnson carb'd 200 hp 2 stroke and love the power. It gives me 2.6 MPG at a 30 MPH cruise and 2.0 at 40 MPH at wot.

The 20' Grady's are sweet boats. I love mine and most owners love theirs.

Gary 89 Overnighter

Merculator

Reaction score
The gas tanks can always be an issue on older boats. I am in the process of replacing the tank in an 83 204c. I was picking up all kinds of gunk from the bottom of tank when running at high rpm. I took out the tank to flush it out and found it was pitted almost all the way through in certain areas but only in the spots where the wedges that hold the tank in place contacted the aluminum. - I have some transom issues staring to develop as well.

BigI

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

He's asking a firm $6500.

It comes with a dual axle trailer, it's steel, not galvanized. Looks very strong but has a little rust and the brakes don’t work. He uses it for one launch a year and winter storage.

Only comes with vhf for electronics.

The boat is in very good shape, very solid. I tried to find soft spots on the floor and transom but didn't. The engine ran strong and looked well maintained under the hood.

NADA only values the package around $3,000 but looking at the market I haven't seen any as low as $6,500. Am I missing something, are there really packages like this out there for $3,000? Should I continue searching?

To tell the truth I was about to commit understanding that a re-power is in the program in the next year or so.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I see you're in NJ so I'll assume that you plan to use the boat in salt water. If that's true then the steel trailer is not worth much, especially if the brakes need repair/replacing. If you do buy this and you're going to be using it in salt water, I'd suggest buying a used galvanized or aluminum trailer and not put any money into the steel one.

The asking price is not bad. I have yet to see a Grady, including the one I bought, have a price any where near as low as NADA values, even in today's market.

In my opinion (and we all know what they're worth), if the boat meets your needs and you are comfortable with its condition then buy it, especially if yo're comfortable with the seller. There is no guarantee that spending more money on a different boat will result in fewer problems.

You know the risks with the transom and fuel tank and said you plan on replacing the motor in the future. These considerations apply to all boats, not just the Grady.

Since his price is firm you might try get him to include some extras like the safety equipment (PFD's, flares, etc), docking lines, anchor and rode, etc.

Another thing for you to consider and I learned this the hard way. A trailer that only gets used twice a year is likely to have bearing problems if you try to tow at higher speeds and a longer distance. I suggest you try to get him to replace all the bearings and races as part of the deal.

Gary 02 Overnighter

BigI

Reaction score
Thank you for the guidance and help. You make very good suggestions.

Chances are that I'll be around here a lot more often!