Overnighter Bad Fiberglass

john90290

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I recently went to look at a boat locally here in San Diego thinking this was my new baby:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/2569244084.html

Well, when I got there, the guy let me know that there had been a leak in the center of the bow at the base of the deep v hull. The guy said it was leaking water and when they went to patch it they discovered that it had no fiberglass matte, he thinks grady made a mistake when they built it...

Anyone ever heard of this or had problems similar to this?

My research has made me aware of the issues with the transom and scuppers on these boats but i've never heard of bad glass.

You expertise and experience would be appreciated.

-John

Pez Vela

Reaction score
That would be a lot of boat for the money except for the leak. I don't know what the seller meant about the "mistake" during construction, but it sounds like he knows a lot more about it than you have mentioned. It looks like the boat has bottom paint, and if so, that means that at some point during its life, it was kept in a slip. If it was a slipped boat, and it was a leaking slipped boat, the extent of the water intrusion throughout the hull could be extensive.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd call BS on that story.

There is no way that the hull could have lasted 22 years with any kind of defective construction. Especially missing fiberglass roving.

Damage in that area usually comes from hitting a rock or a dead head.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Inclined to agree with the doc here, more than likely damaged from contact with something and not fixed properly. Also, lot's of good condition Overnighters around for a lot less than that.

john90290

Reaction score
That was my thought too, figure it would tough to build a boat and "forget" to use matte in the glassing process. Most likely a run in with a rock, log, Sigmund the sea monster and a poor repair followed by bottom paint followed by leak. It was kept in a slip for a few years of its life so that's probably when the leak became apparent.

Thanks guys, I will keep looking if anybody know of an overnighter within 500 miles of SD, I'd love to know about it.

Regards,

John

ibgary

Reaction score
Website
www.mypacificrealty.com
Just my 2 cents
I bought '89 overnighter w/2001 225 Evinrude last September also in SD. I've spent the last few weeks replacing all plastic thru hull fittings with bronze. Look to see if the fittings are plastic, if so that may be a source as was mine. Mine too has bottom paint which I am now suspicious of as it was on a trailer upon my purchase. Great ride in smooth to medium waters but hang on when the weather is up. Drove home from the Rockpile with 15knt w/nw wind and got our butts handed to us. I am looking bigger now as the cabin is good for jackets only. Just my 2 cents. Also research CV2 hull design I think after 1993.

gw204

Reaction score
I am willing to be that he meant no mat had been used in between layers of roven.

Everything I have read states that using mat in between layers of roven results in a better lamination, but it's not absolute necessity. I'm sure if you contacted GW customer service they could tell you the layup schedule used on that boat.