Overnighter Custom Project Pics

Clockwork

Reaction score
Got me a 1990 Overnighter recently and although it was in pretty good condition i like to customize my boats so here are a few pics. I started with a powered kicker bracket that i designed and built, then i built a 5 hole stainless rocket launcher. lastly i like bow pulpits and i dont know why they dont add them to every Grady so i did my best to make an aluminum replica and bow rail. I dabble in marine fabrication so i was able to do all the work out of my garage.

Attachments

• boat mods 014.JPG
    boat mods 014.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 4,196
  • boat mods 025.JPG
    boat mods 025.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 4,194
  • boat mods 026.JPG
    boat mods 026.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 4,195

Clockwork

Reaction score
here are a couple more, i also replaced all the thru hulls and scuppers with stainless ones. thats a hard job, be prepared to dedicate at least a day for a total replacement.

Attachments

• boat mods 021.JPG
    boat mods 021.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 4,190
  • boat mods 027.JPG
    boat mods 027.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 4,190

antaris

Reaction score
Nice work clockwork! I agree on the pulpit issue - very convenient... :goodjob

Changing the through hulls is difficult - but possible - as far as the aft ones are concerned. How about the bait tank/fish tank ones? Mine are leaking and I think it's practically impossible to replace them unless I take the top half of the boat off - which is just NOT going to happen... Did you do them all?

Clockwork

Reaction score
antaris said:
Nice work clockwork! I agree on the pulpit issue - very convenient... :goodjob

Changing the through hulls is difficult - but possible - as far as the aft ones are concerned. How about the bait tank/fish tank ones? Mine are leaking and I think it's practically impossible to replace them unless I take the top half of the boat off - which is just NOT going to happen... Did you do them all?

i did the fish box drains as well which was the real hard part. the stock plastic drains are a liability so i think they should be replaced ASAP. i cant believe boat builders make boats with so many holes below the waterline that rely on a hose and clamp. mine had a crack in it so out it came but in doing so i broke the 3 way plastic junction. all that old brittle plastic scares me.

anyway i recommend taking a hole saw and putting in deck plates where needed to access the drain fittings. luckily i was able to use existing access holes but some are less than ideally placed and i've seen some gradys where there are no access holes in the vicinity.

in all i redid the 2 fish box drains which was a major job, the bilge pump fitting which was easy, the 2 scuppers which was fairly easy and the 2 motor well drains which was also easy. its the fish box drains that will get you.

fdheld34

Reaction score
Very nice work..
Questions for you..
On your bow rail..did you redo whole bow rail or weld to existing rail/bend extension hoop for pulpit?

Also what type of thru transom stainless scuppers did you use ...Attwood?? and do you have model number...
I replaced thru hulls with stainless and I have to redo transom scuppers!!!!
Again looks good
-Fred

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Very nice, particularly on the best 20 foot walkaround ever designed and sold.

Had one myself for 5 yrs.

DaleH

Reaction score
If you leave your boat in SW for any length of time ... ouch ... you shouldn't have used SS thru-hulls. Marine bronze is the best choice there. Otherwise, FANTASTIC work!

I just wouldn't want someone to copy your thru-hull install without beiong forewarned ...

Clockwork

Reaction score
fdheld34 said:
Very nice work..
Questions for you..
On your bow rail..did you redo whole bow rail or weld to existing rail/bend extension hoop for pulpit?

Also what type of thru transom stainless scuppers did you use ...Attwood?? and do you have model number...
I replaced thru hulls with stainless and I have to redo transom scuppers!!!!
Again looks good
-Fred

for the bow rail i cut out the original front section and bent up the new hoop. then i welded the new one into the existing support with a couple small beads.

i got the stainless scuppers from a wholesaler who had these in overstock but i cant recall the name brand.

Clockwork

Reaction score
greenhabah said:
Clockwork,

What did you use for the livewell/fish box drains? Do you have part numbers?

i made them out of 7/8" stainless tubing and sealed them in. i've done this simple mod for years and it works way better than any off the shelf one ive seen. it fits really tight so i tap it in with a hammer and seal it in.

Clockwork

Reaction score
DaleH said:
If you leave your boat in SW for any length of time ... ouch ... you shouldn't have used SS thru-hulls. Marine bronze is the best choice there. Otherwise, FANTASTIC work!

I just wouldn't want someone to copy your thru-hull install without beiong forewarned ...

why is this? for one, it is a trailered boat so no. are you referring to electrolysis? i didnt want bronze because i dont want green thru hulls a year from now.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Clockwork! Outstanding! I love a man that can maintain his own boat to such a high standard. I also keep mine on the trailer at home so that I can give her the same degree of TLC that you demonstrate. Very nice work and a well spoken reply about the stainless thru hulls. 8)
Ken

gradydriver

Reaction score
Clockwork....extremely fine work there....where do you hail from?

Clockwork

Reaction score
gradydriver said:
Clockwork....extremely fine work there....where do you hail from?

washington state, about an hour out of seattle