Overnighter Gauge Panel Depth?

Bryan3536

Reaction score
I am away from my boat, which we just bought. Can anyone tell me or better send me pictures of the gauge panel removed from an Overnighter (1987-1992 era)? I have a 1990. Thinking of flush mounting a radio below gauge array, need 2.6" clearance. Never removed panel, no idea how much room I have, if it is empty hole below there or something else. Thanks.

derx2

Reaction score
hi
I have removed the main instrument panel a few times on my 1989 G/W 204, For comparison, I think the depth of the Yamaha round gauges are more than 2.6" (that commonly go in that space )

Behind the instrument panel is some of the wiring of course, but below is a fiberglass panel that I believe can be cut out if needed.

What model VHF/ HAM are you installing that is only 2.6 " deep? sound like a good idea

Bryan3536

Reaction score
Just bought the Standard Horizon GX 1700. Manual indicates Flush mount cutout: 5.4” W x 2.8” H x 2.6” D.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS. ... Archived=0

I went with this radio because of the Internal GPS. Why? We decided against getting a dedicated chartplotter, or the beautiful Raymarine e7 unit, and opted instead to use an iPad running iNavX for navigation. My father has had good experiences using the ipad as back-up for his plane, and I hear all good things on the cruising list serves I monitor. Downside of using the ipad is that i have no direct gps feed to link to a DSC capable radio - this covers that. Probably overkill, but whatever, we needed a new radio.

BUT

Decided against mounting on the gauge panel. I thought it might be a little awkward, sort of behind the steering wheel with the cord hanging down, and instead decided to mount a new Garmin echo 550c fishfinder there (it's 6" x 5.9" x 1.8"). I am going to put the radio either in the box up top, hanging from bottom of dash, or in the starboard side panel at the helm. Haven't decided, heading to the boat this weekend to figure it out. getting a new panel and gauges from Vector LED.