Overnighter Ignition switch

brodie129

Reaction score
Have a 1986 Overnighter. The key pulls out when engine running and last summer couldn’t turn engine off with key. Pulled main panel off and lots of wires. My owners manual does not give a schematic and I’m afraid to tackle this project. Granted the turn engine off problem only happened once. Bought a new key will still pull out when ignition is on. Where can I find a wiring schematic for wiring coming out of the ignition switch. Any help would be appreciated.

Greyduk

Reaction score
Have a 1986 Overnighter. The key pulls out when engine running and last summer couldn’t turn engine off with key. Pulled main panel off and lots of wires. My owners manual does not give a schematic and I’m afraid to tackle this project. Granted the turn engine off problem only happened once. Bought a new key will still pull out when ignition is on. Where can I find a wiring schematic for wiring coming out of the ignition switch. Any help would be appreciated.
What engine does it have? Is the ignition switch OEM?

Greyduk

Reaction score
It’s a Yamaha 175, not sure
It's not uncommon for those switches to go bad. I had one with a 2000 OX66 200 engine that would not stop when the key was moved to the "off" position. After some research, I found out that the switches go bad and cause that to occur. The solution was to replace the switch which was very simple. Just plug and play. I bought the switch off of ebay.

brodie129

Reaction score
It's not uncommon for those switches to go bad. I had one with a 2000 OX66 200 engine that would not stop when the key was moved to the "off" position. After some research, I found out that the switches go bad and cause that to occur. The solution was to replace the switch which was very simple. Just plug and play. I bought the switch off of ebay.
This has like 6 wires off the switch plugged into different wires. Afraid to tackle this