Overnighter Kicker Shaft Length

johnsonericm

Reaction score
I have a 1990 Overnighter and need to add a kicker for trolling. I have the opportunity to buy a 8 hp Yamaha XL (25 in shaft). Can anyone tell me if this is too long? It also has a remote throttle. Any mounting suggestions for that while we're at it?

Thanks,

Eric

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Eric, I have a 2006 208 which I think has the same basic hull. Get a "fixed mount" for sure. I have a 25 in shaft length on a fixed mount and it works great. Clears the water when running, easy to attach steering rod (kicker to main) . I have Yamaha dual controls at the helm with ignition switches. Mounted a trim tilt switch for the kicker high on the splash well so I can raise and lower the kicker from outside the boat for trailering and launching. Did all the install myself, not difficult just take your time. Found it easier to run the cables and wires in a plastic tube fastened under the gunnels than fit them into the already over filled tubes in the bilge area. Not sure what an 8 XL is. You should consider the "high thrust" Yamaha T8, a great work horse with a bigger prop. God luck and let us know how it all unfolds. Cheers trapper

johnsonericm

Reaction score
trapper said:
Eric, I have a 2006 208 which I think has the same basic hull. Get a "fixed mount" for sure. I have a 25 in shaft length on a fixed mount and it works great. Clears the water when running, easy to attach steering rod (kicker to main) . I have Yamaha dual controls at the helm with ignition switches. Mounted a trim tilt switch for the kicker high on the splash well so I can raise and lower the kicker from outside the boat for trailering and launching. Did all the install myself, not difficult just take your time. Found it easier to run the cables and wires in a plastic tube fastened under the gunnels than fit them into the already over filled tubes in the bilge area. Not sure what an 8 XL is. You should consider the "high thrust" Yamaha T8, a great work horse with a bigger prop. God luck and let us know how it all unfolds. Cheers trapper

Thank you Trapper, appreciate the info. I'll report back...