Overnighter - NAV Light pole and Bimini help

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Where can I get the replacement NAV Light for Overnighter 204 and BImini???

The pole is a plug in 360 view white light...

Thank you

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The problem I had finding a replacement for my Overnighter was the bend in the original light. Since my boat house door seems to eat these lights, I have had to find a couple of replacements. The first one was ordered from Perko and it was very expensive. Light had to be special ordered but did include another base. After that I found a straight replacement light and had it bent at a local canvas shop.

I have found that you can find them at Marine Connection Liquidators in Ft Pierce. They had the lights with the bend but I did have to shorten them. Not sure if you can order over the phone or net but they did have a few the last time I was by. You can contact them at:

http://www.themarineconnection.net/

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Thanks Bob,

you saved me a wasted trip to West Marine...back on Lanier for the Winter - look fo us, Yammy 200 four banger

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Big Foot,

I reread your original post and it made me recall something. One of the reasons I ended up replacing my light was because after I had a new bimini and curtains made for my boat, the canvas made a higher arch even though the frame was the same. Think the bows are closer together in the new top. This made the existing light too short to be seen over the top from the stern. Granted, my light had been previously shortened by hitting the dock door requiring me to lower by an inch. But that's all it took. But besure your light clears your new canvas.

And FYI there is a set of canvas for sale in the 4 sale section, however it looks like a set for a newer model.

i have had trouble with my Nav lights.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Thank you Bob,

One other question - I have the standard seats - did you upgrade your two seats? If so, what did you buy?

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
yes I replaced by original seats. Looked for a long time before I found some that were narrow enough to fit in the helm area. Finally found the seats I wanted at Boater's World in Fort Lauderdale (long since gone). They are manufactured by Wise and worked out well however I did remove the arm rests to get the clearance I needed. Just a bit to big to pivot around but I never did that anyway. The seat looks like the WD562-710 shown here:

http://www.wiseseats.com/Offshore1.html

But the actual model number was probably WD562-3 as I did not get the base or post, just seat, cushions, and mounting plate.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I'm all over those seats...thanks again!

Had the boat in Florida last 3 years...home now and need to do some upgrading/mods...

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Double check the width of your existing seats. Cannot remember the width of mine. I think the width shown on the website might be with the armrests. Next time I am up at the lake I will get a picture of mine and get the width for you.

Do you trailer to Lanier or do you keep your boat on the lake?

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SFC is correct, but this one works and I think works and looks better. It follows the angle of the windshield but most importantly it place the light behind your eyes when at the helm. Much easier on the eyes.

Bryan3536

Reaction score
Re: Overnighter - Cockpit Lights & NAV Light pole

Guys,

Wanted to chime in, make an observation and then horn in on your expertise:

First, I have a 1990 204c with the bent pole nav light. Perko definately made the replacement bulbs (they are in there working now), and I have assumed the entire unit.

Second, i have a soft-top (which is always up, especially when running at night), and find that the white Nave light is a night-vision killer. The bent pole has a black, tear-drop shaped plastic "guard" just below the bulb itself, but I find it does little to actually block the light from hitting my eyes. Has anyone thought of a modification on this? It is bearable, and I want to be seen afterall, but it would be nice if there was a way to reduce the glare.

Third, my starboard cockpit light went out on me the other night - the one behind the helm seat next to the fish box. I am assuming this, too, will be a Perko replacement part - can anyone save me a trip to the boat and tell me which one? I am hoping to get out fishing on Friday night, and not sure I will make it down there to pull the bulb before I go.

By the way, I posted when I first got the boat last November - I love the freaking thing! It has been a perfect "starter" boat for my small family (wife and 3 yr old son), who had not boated before. I actually took up fishing - I grew up on boats but never really was a fisherman - just to extend the boating season, and found a new passion. Who knew? As for the boat, it was structurally sound but needed some attention when we got it, but we polished it up over the last year and it is starting to really shine. Here is what I can remember doing off hand - I know there are a few items missing, but you will get the idea:

*Cleaned it top to bottom, and the cabin fuzzy stuff and old blue "accept" carpet - which we assumed we were replacing - came back fine.

*Same with the faux wood - soap, water, and a little of that paint thinner stuff recommended elswhere on the site (name escapes me) and it looks fine, if not "new."

*Same with the canvas - most pleasant surprise was when we opened the eisenglass and saw that it had probably never been used. We replaced the old fuel tank with a brand new one for peace of mind.

*The engine was in great shape (a 2005 left over that was installed in 2006) but we had every pump, hose, and fitting replaced anyway - again, peace of mind - runs like a top. A typical 2-banger smoky top that requires a little practice to understand her, but a top nonetheless!

*New batteries.

*Had brand new cushions made for inside and out - white with navy piping - SHARP!

*Took off the top-opening door at the helm and replaced it with black starboard so I could flush mounted a new VHS and iPod radio to black starboard. Mounted two small cube speaker in the gunnels.

*Mounted a new garmin ff.

*New ritchie compass

*Bought a RAM mount for my iPad, which I mounted on the "oh cr@p" handle on the helm - I use that with iNavx exclusively for my GPS (with an external bluetooth GPS antennae). Works great, though admittedly hard to operate in a real chop! Just have to set it up before you hit the gas.

*Had a brand new storage box fabricated for under the port seat, and a brand new door fabricated for under the starbard seat.

*Refinished all the interior teak (all of 4 pieces!). Wasn't hard, but I figure that is a bi-annual thing at most.

*Replaced the cabin light.

*Had a pro clean out all of the "old" wiring from 20 years of electronics long gone, rewire where necessary, put in a new fuse block, and most importantly, LABEL it all for me!

*Had wiper motor replaced.

*Had bow spot light re-wired so it now works - I still have to replace the motor on that.

*Put in an extended telescoping swim ladder - so my parents (ok, and me) can get on and off the boat!

Did a bunch of other, little things, too, to make the boat "mine." It is almost there. Main items for the off season are a new livewell/washdown pump, fixing/reinstalling the line guide on the starbard side of the bow pulpit (yes, I have one of those), and installing the stainless bottle opener I bought! We also removed some old hardware from the previous owner - a binoculars case, a filet knife block - we had sealed the holes, but never got around to wetsanding and "prettying up." That's what the winter is for!

Of course, even as I write this I realize it looks like the beginnings of a "for sale" ad - not far off! My favorite memories as a kid were traveling places and staying over with my parents/sister. My kid was a little young for that this season - and the wife was new to boating - but given how much we loved using the boat this year, I already have my eye on a Marlin - looks to me like that little aft cabin would be perfect for one or two little ones! Ahh, but that is another post . . . :D

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Dang man, you are on it dog gone it....sounds great!!!

I'm with you, these 20 footers are pretty dang cool rigs....we did a cocktail cruise last Saturday evening...put it on 3800 rpms and enjoyed...

I'm taking our Bowrider Bimini and swapping to the Grady for the Winter - same width, so will get hardware for GW and save some $$$ seeing as those I just spent $$ on the new top for Summer...hit me, this one I have might fit both boats, the ski boat is now Winterized, may as well use the top...love it when the ol brian kicks in...ha!

None of my NAV lights work, so have to get the new pole and bulbs - hope it's not the wiring...this rig has spent the last 4 years in Florida for our Salt fishing

Fish Tank

Reaction score
I couldn't stand the glare from the white nav light at night even with trying to use the "blocker". My solution was a arch. It has the gps antenna, white all around light, and 4 rod holders, and two flood lights. It was made for another boat, but I got it for free. I took it to my welding shop to do some custimization to fit, and for the last two years it has been great.
Yes, I will try to get a picture.

TXDeer5layer

Reaction score
The only time you should be using that light is if you're at anchor. Underway the only lights that should be on are your bow lights and a stern light. You can look at the rules of the road if you don't believe me.

Bryan3536

Reaction score
Checked my numerous boating safety books at home and confirmed what last poster said about stern light is not correct. Boats under 12 m (39' 4") need to have the red/green forward lights and can have a white all around light mounted at stern OR at the highest point, mid-ship (radar arch, hard top, windshield). In other words,exactly where Grady put its light on the Overnighter. There is no "stern light" on the 20' - this is it - and the top high light comes on when you flip the "nav light" switch. Pretty sure GW builds to US regs.

Check Figure #2 here:

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/cont ... /4_2_b.php