Overnighter rod holder & outrigger backing plates?

BigI

Reaction score
I'd like to add a couple gunwale mount rod holders and outriggers. I want to use backing plates but there's no access to the underside of the gunwales. Has anyone done these installs on an overnighter?

There are two small inspection plates but they aren't big enough or close enough to reach my arm up to the gunwale.

BigI

Reaction score
Those of you that added rod holders and outriggers, did you go w/out backing plates or did you cut access holes? Am I missing something? I know someone had to have added them.

suzukidave

Reaction score
if the rod holder is built into the gunwale i cannot see a need for a backing plate. there would be no pulling force applied to the fitting and no exposure to lateral force or impact.

not sure what kind of outrigger mount you have in mind.

BigI

Reaction score
I'm thinking gunwale mount outriggers are the way to go. I'd like to add a rod holder in the transom too. I researched a bit and everyone seems to recomend using backing plates to distribute the load, especially on the riggers. Since the overnighters have no gunwale access I want to know how guys are installing them. Thr other option is a side mount like the Tigres offers. But that's not ideal either since they would block bow access.

BigI

Reaction score
Grady white customer service recomended cutting access holes the installing inspection plates. They said to use washers or buy the backing plates.
Just thought I'd follow up for the next person with the same question.

gw204

Reaction score
The rod holders on my old 204 were just screwed down. No backing plates...not even thru-bolted.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think in most cases for rod holders, just good size screws would work fine assuming you are not fishing with huge rods/reels with heavy pull like done during shark fishing or offshore bent butt rods, etc.

For the outriggers, definitely backing plates to help distribute the load. My older Renken boat would flex the entire gunnel with the outriggers. Lots of stress on them. Never had an issue with gunnel flexing over 20+ years but they were through bolted with backing plates. The rod holders on that boat were the plastic ones with screws and I never had one fail, even with offshore Penn 113H rigs and catching dolphin, etc.

This option might keep you from having to put in more of the access ports. Only ports for outriggers but not have to for rod holders....

Also, bed all the holders down and also screw holes using 4200. Does a few things: 1. No rust creeping from underneath SS (Ask me how I know). 2. No water to get into wood. 3. Helps to add strength to mount for screws and will help screws from backing out.

One more....when boring holes out for holders, always use some epoxy to seal the exposed wood. I use the 5 minute epoxy with really good success. Water prevention is key here.

BigI

Reaction score
OK, I'm going to look into the side mount Tigress bases. They'd mount on the side of the cabin. I only intend on installing the OR poles on trips I want to troll. So, while not ideal it might be better than cutting access holes.

I'm going to take the suggestion of screwing the rod holders in w/out through bolts and backing plates. I'll have to make sure my drags aren't too tight.

I am shark fishing and tuna trolling so I'm probably a little at risk if I fish a heavy drag.

Thanks for the feedback.