Overnighter seat boxes-Requesting info

BCBryan

Reaction score
On the list of winter upgrade to my 1983 Overnighter 205 Gulfstream I plan to add the seat boxed beneath the two swivel seats. At some point after 83 Grady-white added the seat boxes which look like idea storage spots for fishing gear. Could someone with this feature please send me a few photos and some measurement so I can build them; are they fiberglass or wood with a fiberglass outer skin? Are there any issues with the factory ones; is the size Ok, and do they hinder access to the cuddy cabin, for example. I looks like the port box had drawers which open towards the midline and the stbd box seems to a chest with removable trays.
Thanks, BCBryan.

Bread

Reaction score
have a 1990 204C Overnighter. Can take some photos if my model helps you?

BCBryan

Reaction score
Thanks Bread, I think that would be useful. I know they had the boxes under the seats in 1987. My plan is to custom make them and use Plano boxes in the stbd. side and put drawer on the port side. A few shots and notes on how they were done would be great. I gather from some other comments that they were plywood covered in glass or resin, and they often rotted out. I plan to use marine grade ply and coat is all with resin to minimize rot.
Thanks, BCBryan

Bread

Reaction score
OK, will get some photos and measurements in the next few days.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have a '87 Overnighter. How did you make out with this?
I don't get much use from mine, maybe used to store surf shoes. Things get wet in these boxes and I end up pull the one for the battery switch at the beginning and end of the day. Though I wish they were they arn't big enough for life jackets.
I really haven;t figured out how to make them all that useful.

BCBryan

Reaction score
Hi Lt Mike: My plan for the seat boxes is to put trays of fishing lures in there as well as flashers and related small gear. I have not built them yet since the new top is currently being installed and here on the Pacific NM we don't really start salmon fishing for a couple of months; so winter is refit time. I'm also redoing my gauge panel and will eventually tackle the fuse panel with a new replacement. I spent the last couple of years redoing the floor and the transom which had rotted out-I missed that when I bought the boat in 2009, but it was not expensive and had an excellent 470 Mercruiser in it, which I had rebuilt, so I'm looking at a boat which I can trailer to the west coast of the island and will do me for a long time. She is essentially a fishing boat since at 20.5 feet this model did not have a galley or a head.
Cheers, BCBryan.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I actually chose my Overnighter over a center console because it had the portipot in the cabin.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea using that area for tackle storage. I'd use a lock & lock type water tight container though as water does find its way into the boxes especially when washing down.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Having been in my 85 Overnighter for 10 years here's what works for me:
Portside ped/box has 2 drawers, holds all onboard tools and repl. parts ie hoses, filters etc.
Starboard ped box open, great for gal. bottles of oil and larger items.
Aft boxes below transom seat hatch will hold 4 plano 9 " tackle boxes each, that's 8 tackle boxes well stored.
Works well for me

Midship cooler boxes, 1 for fish, 1 for lunch and drinks