Overnighter thru the hulls

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
On the second above 50 degree day I replaced those thru the hull fittings.
I did not take pix but I did think about it. But time nor the captain were on my side. :lol: I will answer any questions about how to do it. it was not that bad.

I have to tell you that at one point I almost did not go through with it. A few of the replies previously said I would be surprised how brittle those chalky fittings would be. I pulled the hose off and tried to break the port fitting to no avail. I said to myself these guys are full of it. Then I thaught about some recent tragic events. I decided not be a casualty for 50 bucks of marlon and couple squeezes of 5200. I don't need to tell you guys just How Brittle Those Fittings are while getting them out. They broke off just behind the flange.I was glad I did replace them. I have to say that I am a person who puts safety first and tries to err on the side of caution. I did decide on marlon over stainless or bronze. I thank all who provided an idea or thaught to help a fellow boater.

I have to say I was able to inspect areas around under the deck that you normally never see. I was surprised to find the amount of foam in an 86 overnighter I figured it would be a lot less and it gave me a little more security in my ride. I also felt good that it seems solid and dry in there. I did check the rest of the fittings and hoses and they all seemed good for being old. I did not take the time nor feel the need to replace anything else other than the thru the hulls. The hose clamps were like brand new and fiberglass dust is still itchy. Thanks again for the input. :wink:

timo14

Reaction score
Buzz... since you have an 86 too, would you mind telling me what sizes the thru hull's are?
Thanks

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
I have a hose size of one inch. I took mine out and went to West marine. They had them on the shelf. I used marlon as those fittings are close to the water line and the acetal is for in my opinion well above the water line.

The port fitting is easy to get to by pulling the storage box out under the port seat.

The starboard fitting is awkward to get to but is closer than the port one.

Tip #1 There is a hole in the bottom inside of the port box. Just in front of that there is a screw that is counter sunk to a piece of plywood support. Remove that screw and the box will then come out. You cant see it by looking in there. Once the box is out it is an open world. You will see the T fitting that connects the floor drain as well as the fish box to the thru the hull.

Have patience and don't get all worked up. Starboard is accesible through the access plate and when you remove that you can reach in and get to it. I used channel locks and a flashlite. 5/16 short nut driver to loosen those clamps.

Tip #2 Clean the old 5200 or whatever sealant they used with acetone. I used a utility knife blade to get the thick stuff off but if not done rite you will take some gelcoat with you. Be careful with the blade. Before you put the new fitting in the clean the hole it is a tight fit. So tight you may say it won't go in. It will. Gob the 5200 behind the flange and shove it in the hole. :lol: Put your nut on and tighten. Put your hose one make sure your tight. Don't worry about the mess and 5200 driping down the hull. Before closing up everything use rag and paper towels to go around the fitting and get all the excess. Dampen a rag with acetone and do your final wipes and clean up.

I have an 86 overniter and thats the way I did it.

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
Bondstreet, I did ask grady and they replied that on the newer modles they did add the cover plates for the reason of accessing the thru the hulls. I do not know what year they changed it and I have no experiance with newer overniters to tell you about the cover plates. I can tell you that the only way on my 86 is by removing the drawers under the seat and the access cover on the starboard wall.

Danmac

Reaction score
thru hulls

anyone with a older Grady having nylon thru hulls should definatly take the time to change them out, in my opinion they are an accident waiting to happen. I too have an older Grady when I moved the hose connected to my thru hulls both sides snapped off without putting much pressure at all on them, surprised the hell out me. I am so glad I listened to the advice of others on this site. If they are below the water line are nylon and old take the time and change them they are most definatly brittle.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Buzz, whereabouts in Joisy do you go out of? If I had to guess I'd say towards the north?

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
LOL... CD, I am actually on the North end of the Barnegate Bay by Mantoloking. So I do go out Manasquan often and try to stay away from Barnegate but it depends on where the fish are. :lol:

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
Awsome CD, so you are fairly familiar with BI. I have been in and out a few times but for the most part I stay to the North. Or fish the channels off tices.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Buzz, I like the area of barn. lite reef north, good structure. Also can find good g
cuts in the bottom up towards seaside.

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
I was looking at that on one of my maps this past summer. I was going to try to get a good run there but it didn't pan out. I do want to do a little more on the sea girt. I have to to learn to get out past 2 miles. :lol: How far do you go in yours. I know the fog can roll in pretty quick at times and I don't have radar. I do have a good gps map and the tracking helps tremendously.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The BI NORTH is about a 7 mile run NNE from BI. Have not been fogged yet, trust my GPS, no radar here either.

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
I am not used to taking it offshore that far. I have been out a few times chasing stripes, fluke, blues and have wanted to wonder a bit. Of course you will only go as far as your balls take you. :lol: I think sometimes Iam to cautious. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
Hey CD where do you have your stereo speakers located if you have one?

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
I hear that. I will spend the money on more safety gear and carry the portable.