Overnighter w/ Merc 150 4 stroke performance?

BigI

Reaction score
Has anyone re-powered their overnighter with the merc 150 4 stroke? If so what kind of performance numbers did you get?

I'm going to be facing the re-power decision sooner or later. I'm still running the original 87 150 yamaha :)

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You should see similar performance, and a little more weight on the transom. Will be quieter, less fumes, and more user friendly. I think Yamaha has a new 200hp 4cyld 4str engine, does Merc also have the same, or is their 200hp 4str a 6cyld? If a 4 cyld, weight should be similar to the 150hp, with more hp!

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I have a 200 Yamaha 4 banger on mine. The new yamaha 200 is the right motor.

Do it once do it right

BigI

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like no one repowered with the merc yet.

BigI

Reaction score
I checked out the new yamaha 200. It retails around $19K while the 150 Merc retails around $10K (Ed's Marine price). That's a huge difference. Not sure it would be worth it.

RBallou

Reaction score
I repowered my 1999 208 Adventure (no hardtop) with a 150hp Mercury Verado (4-stroke), which I think is a successor to the Overnighter. Had a 200 Optimax previously. I have run the Verado for 8 years now and can say that it works fine for me. I too was concerned about weight since the boat was designed during the 2-stroke era. Because the Verado is supercharged, it has good low-end torque to get on plane easily. The weight is similar to a 6-cylinder 2-stroke engine. The efficiency is about 4 mpg and the WOT speed is about 38-40 mph. Mercury now has a 200 4-cylinder Verado with the same weight. Mercury also produces a non-supercharged 150hp that even weighs less than the Verado model, but the performance may not be the quite same. However, it weighs less than the Verado and I believe it is less expensive.