Ox66 engine anodes

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I wanted to inspect the engine anodes on my Ox66s before I bought replacements. The engines have been worked on in the past by PO and head covers were off. So I assume they replaced the anodes but wanted to check them.

Took one anode cover off and pulled out the grommet. In theory, the anode would come out with it. Well the anode is stuck in place (imagine that!) and the little tit is broken off. It looks shiny new from the back side.

Opinions from experts please...
Tap on it and see if it comes loose?

Leave it be because tapping on it will make it fall "in" and force me to remove head cover to get at it?

SuBfdALh.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The backside will look good since it doesn't get much water. Condition all comes down to how much water is going through it (time on engine) and the type of water you are in - even different areas of salt water can show a dramatic difference in anode wear.

If it falls in, it probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as it will start to wear down. But of course it's best to avoid that. I think you could drill a small hole in it (slowly), then rock the drill bit back and forth (while it's still in the hole) gently and "unstick" it and pull it out. You could also try first squirting some Salt Away or even white vinegar into the edge/crack. I don't think, in the end, it will be too difficult.