OX66 O2 sensor

NiceBass 272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I saw a video on youtube on cleaning the O2 sensor on the HPDI and OX66 and was wondering if folks are doing this and how often

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I replace mine with an automotive equivalent for sub $40. Been doing so for 10 years. No issues.
Cleaning never seemed to result in an improvement.

Reactions: NiceBass 272

seasick

Reaction score
I tested and cleaned mine maybe twice in 13 years. The spool tube that is inline with the sensor and the cylinder was redesigned a way back. If you have the older model, it is probably a good idea to replace it. It is expensive for its size:)
The new part has a thin mid section. I think the old one did not have that 'waisteline' Part is
65L-11353-00-00
In any case, pull it out and makes sure it is clean both inside and outside. Check the hole to the cylinder for carbon too, Use new gaskets when reinstalling.
Testing the O2 sensor is pretty easy. Heat the tip with a propane flame while measuring the voltage on the sensor leads.(check manual for correct wire colors. As it warms up, the voltage should increase. Do not use acetylene or overheat the sensor. Cleaning it is easy also but you need to follow the guidelines. I use ringfree as the solvent but many use carb cleaner Make sure that only the sensor tube is immersed in the cleaner and not the whole sensor.
Note that the sensor has an internal heater. The continuity of the heater will need to be checked. If the heater doesn't work, the sensor will give incorrect readings until the heads and the sensor get hot.
I don't recommend routine removal and testing of the O2 sensor unless something is amiss with the engine operation. Black smoke or gas fouled plugs can be a sign of a too rich mixture and the O2 sensor is an important part of the mix calculation.

seasick

Reaction score
I replace mine with an automotive equivalent for sub $40. Been doing so for 10 years. No issues.
Cleaning never seemed to result in an improvement.
Did replacement make an improvement? Did you actually test the sensor or did you just clean it?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Did replacement make an improvement? Did you actually test the sensor or did you just clean it?
The 1st time I suspected an O2 sensor issue, I tested it. The results were within spec, but barely. I replaced it and my performance issues went away. The past 1 or 2 I didn't test, but checked all the usual culprits before swapping the sensor. The issues went away. This last sensor was a redesign and has yielded the best performance. I've never been able to keep my plugs consistently clean, but with this last sensor we've managed 200 hours including trolling and the plugs are still tan. I doubt most ox66 owners have the same experience.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I forgot to mention cleaning the 1st sensor didn't seem to change the test results.

NiceBass 272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I tested and cleaned mine maybe twice in 13 years. The spool tube that is inline with the sensor and the cylinder was redesigned a way back. If you have the older model, it is probably a good idea to replace it. It is expensive for its size:)
The new part has a thin mid section. I think the old one did not have that 'waisteline' Part is
65L-11353-00-00
In any case, pull it out and makes sure it is clean both inside and outside. Check the hole to the cylinder for carbon too, Use new gaskets when reinstalling.
Testing the O2 sensor is pretty easy. Heat the tip with a propane flame while measuring the voltage on the sensor leads.(check manual for correct wire colors. As it warms up, the voltage should increase. Do not use acetylene or overheat the sensor. Cleaning it is easy also but you need to follow the guidelines. I use ringfree as the solvent but many use carb cleaner Make sure that only the sensor tube is immersed in the cleaner and not the whole sensor.
Note that the sensor has an internal heater. The continuity of the heater will need to be checked. If the heater doesn't work, the sensor will give incorrect readings until the heads and the sensor get hot.
I don't recommend routine removal and testing of the O2 sensor unless something is amiss with the engine operation. Black smoke or gas fouled plugs can be a sign of a too rich mixture and the O2 sensor is an important part of the mix calculation.

Thanks for the advice and part number. I love Yamaha but the parts are $$$$$$