OX66 saltwater series II exhaust spitting water

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Did a ton of spring maintenance this weekend on my 2000 OX66 twin motors. Changed filters, thermostats, poppet valves, VST filters, cleaned O2 sensors etc. Spent the entire weekend and oh what a difference everything made.

The question I have is that I've noticed at idle speed, the port side engine seems to spit more water through the exhaust opening below the cowling. The other engine hardly spits any water. I'm hoping this isn't a major problem. Appreciate it if anyone has any ideas. Perhaps some gaskets in the lower units need changing?

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Here's a picture of the exhaust for both engines. You can see more water coming from the port engine. Is this normal? I've heard of some 4 stroke engines having exhaust problems but I checked with SIMS and he says that's not a problem for OX66's.

Attachments

• SeaBiscuit_engines.jpg
    SeaBiscuit_engines.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 4,440

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dave it looks like the port engine is idling much higher. That would surely cause it. Can't really see the difference in water coming out of the exhaust relief ports from the pic. Sure you got the new poppets in correctly? Hope you didn't cock the spring. I think your alarm would go off with a low speed overheat condition if they were in wrong. Did you replace the grommet? Does the condition still happen when the boat is lowered completely in the water? Assuming the stbd engine has a fresh water pump! Don't you just love it that Taylor Marine put's their stickers right on the back of the motors. You'll never get them off.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
John - Thanks for the reply. I didn't think that engine was idling any higher than the other one. I think they were both around 6-7 or there about. On another site, I saw someone mention that excess water from the exhaust could mean the exhaust gasket seal into the lower unit is out of position. Know anything about that? I do need to have the impellers replaced so I will probably have my mechanic replace all the seals in the lower unit.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dave, the only exhaust seal I can think of is a rubber oval shaped seal that seats on the lower unit. It mates with the mid unit when the lower unit is installed. And yea, If it's not cleaned and greased real good, it will slip out of place upon installation. Don't think this would cause more water to come out the relief though. Have you ever given you motors a good flush in a tub of salt away or something equal? I did that to mine this Spring for about 30-minutes each engine. I was doing maintenance and had them running on & off. When draining the tub, I had about 1/2 cup of crude come out of each engine.

ahill

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing on my '98 225 OX 66s.
Service mgr. said that each engine spits differently.
Early on a lot of techs were trying to find a reason for it.
Yamaha sez its normal variation between engines produced and doesn't warranty it.
My stbd spits more than port, my dock neighbor's are opposite my son's are like my dock neighbor's.

izzy

Reaction score
Just a thought, is the pee hole clear, alot of times you'll get salt deposite and it will need to be cleared with a piece of wire.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yep..as ahill says,Yamaha has addressed different "exhaust patterns" and mentions each engine is different and that as long as it doesnt overheat you should be good to go. Hope thats reassuring for you.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Where does the exhaust relief come from? It's not the from the poppet valve blowing off because water comes out when the engine is cold. And... you don't hear exhaust.