OX66 ???

cloud

Reaction score
What is the life expectancy of the 2001 OX66 225 hp? I am looking at a 282 with 225 OX66s on her... Pros??? Cons??? Motors have 445 hours on them now.

Thanks,
John

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
In my research those motors were really pretty good - they are not the new technology HDPI's - so they burn a little more fuel and oil - but they are pretty good -
I think resale on any two stroke boat is not the best - so keep that in mind - this was right on the verge of introducing the 4-stroke - it is my opinion that the OX66's are the least desirable - you should be able to get a great deal!
Tim

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We purchased our 2002 Islander new with a single 2001, 250HP OX66.

We had 465 hours on it when we repowered to twin F150s.

The engine was very strong, always started easily, and ran great. Just thirsty for oil and gas.

The repower was to increase our range for offshore fishing.

I would review the service records on those OX66s, check the compression, find out when the little filter under the oil reservoirs was last changed, find out when the O2 sensors were last changed, and then go for it.

Lots of hours remaining in those engines if they have been maintained properly.

JMHO,
Brian

seasick

Reaction score
Unfortunately the hours don't tell the whole story. The previous use and maintenance makes all the difference. If the motor was not abused and was maintained properly, you can expect 1200 to 2000 hours of use. If it was abused, it could be shot now. A compression test will tell if its bad but a good compression test result may not tell if it has not been well taken care of.
If the boat was well cared for, that's a good sign that the motor was also. Knowing how the previous owner cared for his or her vessel is the best indicator.

striped bass

Reaction score
The OX66 225 hp on my 1998 Tournament is going strong. Just had the compression checked and each chamber registers at 125. I keep it well serviced and have the prescribed Yamaha preventive maintenance done every season. The OX66 seems to have lots of "get up and go" and is a pretty beefy engine for our Tournament. Note that our Tournament carries over 150 gallons of fuel so when you add to that the passengers and gear there is quite a load, but the 225 has no problems moving out with dispatch. A gutsy engine.

Gross Profit

Reaction score
striped bass said:
The OX66 225 hp on my 1998 Tournament is going strong. Just had the compression checked and each chamber registers at 125. I keep it well serviced and have the prescribed Yamaha preventive maintenance done every season. The OX66 seems to have lots of "get up and go" and is a pretty beefy engine for our Tournament. Note that our Tournament carries over 150 gallons of fuel so when you add to that the passengers and gear there is quite a load, but the 225 has no problems moving out with dispatch. A gutsy engine.

ditto

same motor pushes my 222 fisherman extremely well. Pops up on plane instantly

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OX-66 Yamaha

This engine is bulletproof. Replace a thermostat and impeller from time to time, and it will do the job very nicely.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't neglect the O2 sensor.

ahill

Reaction score
I've heard 2,000 hrs plus if properly maintained. Some 4 stroke upgraders wish they hadn't spent the $ to do so.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I upgraded to one from a carbed 200 Yamaha, and it's been very good. It has considerably more power, burns less gass, is smoother and quieter; that's a lot of improvement for $3K! I know a HPDI or 4S would improve all those parameters further, but for the money I'm pretty happy.

I had one annoying issue that several factory Yamaha-trained mechanics couldn't figure out; it would just shut off sometimes at any RPM.
The problem with repairing it was we could never duplicate it at a shop. It was shutting off fuel flow, but was doing it electronically (it was very sudden). Eventually, one guy replaced the VST and it's been perfect ever since.

If I were buying a new motor, I would have put a F250 on it, but that would have cost more than my boat/motor/trailer when I bought it 10 years ago! Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the setup for now.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
"VST"??

Grouper Duper said:
I had one annoying issue that several factory Yamaha-trained mechanics couldn't figure out; it would just shut off sometimes at any RPM.
The problem with repairing it was we could never duplicate it at a shop. It was shutting off fuel flow, but was doing it electronically (it was very sudden). Eventually, one guy replaced the VST and it's been perfect ever since.

What is the "VST"? And is it part of routine maintenance?

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The VST is a filter located on the side of the engine. I have twin OX66 225's (year 2000) and replaced mine in August after having a similar problem with losing power. The filters were dirty and, after 8 seasons, probably needed to be replaced. I also went ahead and changed the 3 fuel pumps located to the right of the VST filter. Boat is running normal again. I plan on changing those filters periodically and you can also clean them. No one had ever told me those needed to be checked or replaced.