Oxidized Gelcoat

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I compounded the sides of the hull with Meguiars 44 and used Collinite on the sides of the hull, it came up beautifully. However, the gelcoat over the cuddy cabin is oxidized, and does give up some chalk if you rub hard enough. Question: What product will remove that oxidation so I can get a good base for wax? And would Meguiars 44 be sufficient to do the job on the oxidized parts?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Someone here kept mentioning FINESSE-IT a 3M product. Absolutely amazing. I have always liked 3M detailing and paint products, I used to use IMPERIAL FINISHING COMPOUND, so it was a natural to try the Finess-it polishing compound. It's a bit less aggressive and buffs up to a shine easier.

I also found a resin type sealer called TERMINATOR from Top of the Line Detail Products (www.topoftheline.com) which seals and shines exceedingly well and holds up to weather better than just wax. Top it off with carnuba wax if you want the brightest shine on earth. I don't bother with wax on the RV, just the cars. I haven't had tobuff out the boat yet, just keep it waxed with 3M boat wax.

I just did the sun-side of my Winnebago. I polished it last year and it was oxidizing again. This time I used these two products and I was pretty amazed at how easy it was and how shiney it came up. The front cap was pretty chalky, I imagine similar to your house-top - it's 5 years old this year. Grady gel coat is very thick, so polish that oxidation off and it will shine again.

Scrub it down with dish soap first, will probably take a lot of the chalk off and clean it up good before you polish. Use a wool wheel, be careful not to burn any edges. You need a 2500rpm polisher. WEN makes one that's pretty inexpensive compared to the others, under $100. Here's the WEN version:
945%20large.jpg

You can order one direct, 1000-3000variable speed. You can't use a grinder, they spin 8-10,000rpm.

Top of the Line has the wool wheels, and you need a polishing pad, or you can get them at an automotive paint shop:
tolae_2050_127391061.jpg

Danmac

Reaction score
Check out a product called Buff Magic, their is a segment on it on U TUBE
its titled CLEANING TIPS WITH BUFF MAGIC & PRO POLISH...... guess it originally aired on Ship Shpe tv.Sounds like it has promise apparently some of the boat manufacturers are using it . I just ordered some ill post the results once I get the chance to try it.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've gone with the 3M 3 step process and am overjoyed with the results. Yes it may be more work but the result is well worth it. Start with a decent polsher (harbour frieght will suffice for under 30$). 3M rubbing compound followed by the Marine Finesse Glaze will bring any gelcoat back to like new condition, it will shine so clear that you won't want to wax it. But wax you must. Finish off with 3M Marine Ultra Performance Paste wax and you will not be sorry. Yeah the paste is different than a lot of other stuff, what I like about it is it has no softeners in it which I feel makes for a harder finish which will last longer.