Paddle Wheel...

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So, apparently the wheel part of this gizmo on the bottom of the boat is missing. Was this some sort of early built-in speedometer? And what would the best idea for treating it now be? The boat will be moored in saltwater and this will be a barnacle trap (I'm going to bottom paint). Should I attempt removal and patch the indentation in the hull? Try to find a wheel to replace and restore functionality? The gauge speedometer in the boat is a Yamaha, so maybe the original was replaced? I may have access to the inside when the deck panel is up. What to do???

Any information appreciated. Thanks, Scott

Attachments

• paddle.jpg
    paddle.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 18

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If I'm not mistaken that's a b744 transducer and the paddle wheel is replaceable. But honestly unless ur depending on it for water speed/not actual speed, there's no reason to even bother.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No, the HDS-10 will handle those responsibilities - I'm plenty happy with how those perform. I looked at the B744 (now that you have me the name - thanks!), and it appears, as you suggest, to have been a sonar transducer and speedo. Nope. Not necessary, and will definitely be a site for unwanted marine growth.

I think it will be the first (and hopefully only) hull bottom contour repair/modification - scratched up and bottom painted like it was never there. :cool:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Agree...Its probably a B744 without a fairing. speed wheel is replaceable but who cares with GPS nowadays. There should be a plug attached inside for plugging that up when you remove the paddle wheel part.

Its not connected to your GPS/FF? Its a 50/200khz traditional wide beam 600W transducer. Mine works pretty good to about 600 ft and loses bottom at about 1200ft.

If you don't use it you could just paint it and be done.
Its going to be a big hole to patch.

Reactions: ScottyCee

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a "Skimmer" for the Lowrance that I planned to install on the transom in place of the one that's on there now (Garmin I think). I'll verify, but I'm almost certain that it isn't connected to anything. That setup on my last boat worked great, but I'm always open to suggestions. Guaranteed that the B744 will be full of barnacles in a month - a major PITA even if the boat happens to favor the port side for it's daily mud sit...

The hull "feature" looks about the size of a football. First instinct is to get rid of it, but I'll let that one simmer for a while...

Thanks for the info.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have a "Skimmer" for the Lowrance that I planned to install on the transom in place of the one that's on there now (Garmin I think). I'll verify, but I'm almost certain that it isn't connected to anything. That setup on my last boat worked great, but I'm always open to suggestions. Guaranteed that the B744 will be full of barnacles in a month - a major PITA even if the boat happens to favor the port side for it's daily mud sit...

The hull "feature" looks about the size of a football. First instinct is to get rid of it, but I'll let that one simmer for a while...

Thanks for the info.
mine is there all season... the fairing painted with bottom paint and the face painted with transducer paint. Doesn't get any more barnacles than the water intakes or the trim tabs.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Like others said. Leave it there and paint the sides with bottom paint and face with transducer paint. Either way if you need a back up or secondary transducer in there future it's in place already. I actually just removed my furuno fcv-627 and b744 from my sailfish. It was a really great combo. Held bottom at any speed, the furuno with rez boost did an amazing job with the b744, showing bottom detail and fish speration. Almost a little sad I replaced it but needed room to install new Axiom unit and didn't want clutter. Back to my point it's a solid 600w transducer at least from my experience.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks. It was disconnected at some point prior to the latest (before me) setup. So, for now it stays. Whether or not I want it there (I seriously doubt that it works), there are just too many other jobs with higher priority.