Panda Diesel Genset Knock at cold start

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Any Panda owners notice a loud knock during start up that goes away after the engine gets up to running rpm? I started a thread on THT about an issue i'm having. Long story short I had a guy come take a look at it because it was not getting up to full rpm and not getting power to the panel. He came out, cranked the engine over, shut it down quickly and said I have a bad crankshaft bearing. As far as I know it was always made that knock from a cold start. Purrs like a kitten up at running rpm and is making power now. I think I just had an air lock in the fuel lines after I changed the fuel filter.
any thoughts?
Nick

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
can't say anything about "knocking", but it's pretty noisey on startup. that's with the cover on it, below deck and with me in the cabin. have you made sure that sound cover and all hold down bolts are tight? i have a portable gas genset that actually bounces a little as the engine kicks on. anything loose on the FP will definitely "knock" around when the diesel starts up.

in any case, you should give FP a call, the are very helpful.

good luck, ron

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Didn't seem real abnormal for a one cylinder diesel. The miss in early stages of the start seems unusual and the "dieseling" on shutdown seems wrong. Check fuel delivery system for dirty injector, etc. It shouldn't run as long on shutdown. Suspect injector leak. Could cause it to be rich on start as well causing the miss. Is speed/frequency good at governed speed (3600 rpm/60hz)? Can you load it OK? Questions that FP folks will likely have. Good luck!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i listened to the video. i can't say the start up is any different from mine, but i agree that the run on at shut down is an issue. make sure you get a high quality genset tech to look at it. i heard a story about one that opened the decompression valve and told the owner the genset was shot; needed a new one. the ultimate repair was a really insignificant issue. good luck, ron

HMBJack

Reaction score
I have a 2006 330 Express with the same generator.

After watching and listening to your video - I don't hear anything really abnormal. Mine sounds the same pretty much as yours. Just be sure (1) you have oil in it, (2) your fuel + filter is good, and (3)the coolant is running out on your starboard stern as normal and you should be okay. Just my opinion...

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I got a number of the Panda rep in the area and gave him a call. He basically told me there have been some problem with some technicians basically going overboard with repairs. He said there was one in my area but wasn't in his office and not sure if my guy was him. I guess they basically pull their support but don't warn consumers :huh. It's a shame really, gives good mechanics a bad name. I have been working through some fuel issues and also need my valves adjusted so thats why it starts and shuts down like that. Those issues were supposed to be handled with this service, when all the rebuild talks began. This all did force me to learn a lot more about that little generator and how to properly maintain it. I made some good contacts and hope to find a good, reliable guy I can count on.
I plan to have an oil analysis done just in case but definitely have some words for the guy who gave me that diagnosis.
thanks for you guys that listened to it and gave your opinions
Nick

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Spectrometric Oil Analyses (SOAP) are of little value unless a baseline history is available. You won't know what is normal. If you're worried about wear metals or internal damage look at the oil filter (which is actually a screen) and if it's clean, oil's good.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Start up sounds good to me except that "clanking" noise sound like water starvation (need impeller maybe?).
As far as the shut down, is not normal. Like someone mentioned already looks like you have a "leak" somewhere.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just wanted to update the thread. I finally got the panda certified tech on the boat. He changed the oil, impeller and adjusted the valves. Motor starts and shuts down much better. He said either the guy was trying to rip me off or just didn't know what he was doing. Pretty crappy either way considering he came highly recommended. Anyway thanks for all the input.
Nick