Panda Generator 4200

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
We have a panda generator on our 2006 Grady 330 Express. Wanted to see if anyone has run into this problem... We were offshore overnight last weekend and went to start the generator. It ran fine for 5 mins but then shut down with the oil pressure light blinking. We opened up the case and apparently the oil fill plug on right side of engine had come off and oil blew inside the case. We refilled it with a quart of oil and it ran ok the rest of night. I still need to clean he engine off and I'm hoping I didn't damage the engine.

Another question I have is that after being offshore overnight in rocking seas, the side of the boat with the exhaust is covered in black soot. Is this normal? Takes a bit of scrubbing to clean it off the hull. Covers from stern to about where the metal starts for the hardtop.

Any advice on this diesel generator would be most appreciative.

Thanks!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
the oil fill on my 2009 is a screw in cap. not sure how it would "come off" unless someone didn't put it on correctly. ron

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Same here and the soot seems normal. I have a 2007 330 and run the gen almost constant underway and overnight at sea. You're probably OK and the Gen is supposed to protect itself when the oil press. gets low. Regardless not much you can do except run it with high quality oil and see what happens. Good Luck!

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks. I contacted the PANDA folks about the oil screw and it appears if you overtighten, it can strip the threads. Bob in the service department is going to send me a new screw cap. Sounded like this happens sometimes. My guess is whomever did the service before may have stripped the threads.