Panda Generator Maintenance

HMBJack

Reaction score
Greetings,

For those who own the diesel Panda Genset, what is your maintenance routine?

The Panda Manual is kind of hard to interpret as it seems to be translated from something to English.

Last week, I changed the oil but wish to know what else I should do (i.e. filters, fuel addiitve, etc.).
Also I'm not sure if GW installs a Racor filter as standard (my boat is a 2006 330 Express). If so, where is it or where should it be located?

Thanks,
Jack

georgemjr

Reaction score
I always use diesel fuel additive. I understand this is extremely important for diesel fuel, even more so than gas. There is a filter under the removable deck just in front of the generator on the starboard side. Other than that, regular oil changes, nothing else that I know of. It doesn't even have an oil filter. Just an fyi: my starter relay failed this year. It wasn't expensive to replace, just hard to figure out initially.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
george, there is an internal oil filter. i only have a few hours on mine, but steve (gulfcart) has probably cleaned his by now. ron

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
FWIW, my starter relay failed TWICE this year. It was changed by FP and my dealer did not charge anything for doing it, but now that i see another member had problems, maybe is a defective starter relay all together.

George, i send you a PM with a link, did you get it?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
no restrictions said:
my relay also failed. I always have several spares. Takes a minute to change.

Is the relay part of the generator housing or is located at the starting panel. FP changed the starting panel twice for me.

georgemjr

Reaction score
The starter relay is one of two relays located side by side on the front top of the generator. They are approximately 1 inch black squares and both sit under a clear plastic top that holds them down with 1 screw in the center. I keep a spare on board now. Real easy to change and worth having a spare for the 10 bucks they cost. I don't think the unit has an oil filter, it does have a screen that they recommend cleaning, but at lengthy intervals. Apparantely it isn't too easy to do, but I do not have experience with that. NEM: got the PM. Thanks for looking out for that. I have a supplier for TACO's, new and will pull the trigger before the spring thaw.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
georgemjr said:
I don't think the unit has an oil filter, it does have a screen that they recommend cleaning, but at lengthy intervals. Apparantely it isn't too easy to do, but I do not have experience with that. NEM: got the PM. Thanks for looking out for that. I have a supplier for TACO's, new and will pull the trigger before the spring thaw.

that's it. just wanted to make sure you were aware. good luck with the taco's. only 107 days till spring :mrgreen:

Hoghunter

Reaction score
I would advise all of you to take a very careful look at your hot lead where it comes in through the base of the generator housing and then goes up the side and around the front up to the starter.

I was blowing relay's on a regular basis and also the 25 amp fuse from time to time. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Then this summer I blew the 100 amp fuse that's mounted under the transom for the hot lead. That's when I started checking the hot lead. I found mine completely worn through right after it entered the housing. It was worn off by a bolt that it vibrated against when the motor is running. I pulled the hot lead out and replaced it and also put a piece of hose around it in that area so it doesn't happen again. Since then I have had no blown relay's or fuses.

I think it's a design issue. I called the Panda Service Center in Florida about the problem and they were aware of it.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hoghunter said:
I would advise all of you to take a very careful look at your hot lead where it comes in through the base of the generator housing and then goes up the side and around the front up to the starter.

I was blowing relay's on a regular basis and also the 25 amp fuse from time to time. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Then this summer I blew the 100 amp fuse that's mounted under the transom for the hot lead. That's when I started checking the hot lead. I found mine completely worn through right after it entered the housing. It was worn off by a bolt that it vibrated against when the motor is running. I pulled the hot lead out and replaced it and also put a piece of hose around it in that area so it doesn't happen again. Since then I have had no blown relay's or fuses.

I think it's a design issue. I called the Panda Service Center in Florida about the problem and they were aware of it.

thx. just put it on my outlook calendar for April. i don't have many hours on it so hopefully i catch it in time. ron

georgemjr

Reaction score
Yes. The panel looks fine. It's just when you press the start button, the starter does not operate. The only thing you will hear is the fuel pump. I got mine to turn over by tapping the relay while someone else held the starter button. It is how I figured out the problem, as I had never heard of it before. Guess you could do that in a pinch, but probably should throw a spare onboard if you plan on needing the gen during an overnighter. The panel must be a completely different problem. One I have not and hope to not encounter...

gulfcart

Reaction score
Basically I just change the oil.. I do put additive in every tank. I also carry a spare relay and impellar. I have adjusted the valves once. Thing purrs like a kitten. Got over 600 hours on it. Normally it runs every week, but if it doesn't get used I still start it and run it with the hot water heater on for few minutes. Worse thiing you can do is not run it.. I also put a fresh water flush in.. Don't know if it helps or not, but makes me feel better!

HMBJack

Reaction score
Many thanks to each of you who shared your experiences in maintaining the Panda Diesel Genset.

I learned alot. Thank-you all VERY much!

p.s. Anyone have a PN and source to buy spare 25 amp fuses? I wish to have a few handy just in case.

Hoghunter

Reaction score
HMBJack said:
Many thanks to each of you who shared your experiences in maintaining the Panda Diesel Genset.

I learned alot. Thank-you all VERY much!

p.s. Anyone have a PN and source to buy spare 25 amp fuses? I wish to have a few handy just in case.

You can get the 25 amp fuse at any auto or marine store. It's simply a 25amp automotive type fuse.

If the fuse goes out you won't have anything at your panel.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hoghunter said:

just got around to looking into this. i have a 2009 and FP has put in a fix. there is a corrugated black plastic conduit (rather heavy gauge) already installed from the entry point of the cover all the way up to the solenoid. i'm just glad i didn't have to hang upside down to take care of the issue. ron

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
James Gagnon, the Service Manager @ Fischer Panda Generators USA, is really helpful when you have questions. He can be reached at service@fischerpanda.com or 800-508-6494/954-462-2800. That said, I have the same boat and generator with approx 550 hours. I was told to run it as much as possible as Diesel generators do not like to sit around. We change the oil, fuel-water filer and relays as needed. We also changed the water pump which was a real PITA. It was much easier with a 12 inch socket extender. That's about it so far. We keep spar parts of all onboard. I asked if we needed to do the valves but was told not really by the dealer. We may attempt to do this in the fall as we are big DIY'ers and it is fun to work on motors. Good luck and I'm looking forward to other feedback - especially if anyone has had any problems. I'd also love to hear from some folks who have lots of hours on the generators.

Grandpapat

Reaction score
FP changed the design of the relay a few years ago on its 8kw genie. Not sure what year but it was after 2006. There is a skinny relay and a fatter relay and they are not interchangeable. I suspect the skinny relays were overheating and opening the contactor which stops whatever function the relay is operating. Carrying spares can keep genie running, but the relay is not necessarily "failed" -- it will work again when cool.

If this is a recurring problem also look at the relay block closely to see if the connectors for the relay spade clips are positioned properly in the relay block. We had one side of one connector that was broken and pushed into the block and it would make contact but after awhile it would either vibrate deeper and lose contact or cause the relay to overheat as mentioned earlier.