panel switches... Fuel switch? is this useless?

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 1987 Grady white, original switch panel. I noticed a fuel switch. Also the aft bilge has no manual mode.

I am probably going to upgrade the panel but what is the fuel switch? My boat presently has one 97 gallon tank. Is this a useless switch for an older setup with two tanks?

Attachments

• IMG_1403.jpeg
    IMG_1403.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

seasick

Reaction score
You could tell from the wiring on the back if it was intended for a two tank (and two senders) configuration but unless you are electrically savvy, I can't explain since there are several possible switch configuration
For sure though, if you fuel gauge currently works now but doesn't when you flip that switch to the other position, it is a sender selector switch.

Reactions: DoctorOctopus

alan campbell

Reaction score
I have a 1987 Grady white, original switch panel. I noticed a fuel switch. Also the aft bilge has no manual mode.

I am probably going to upgrade the panel but what is the fuel switch? My boat presently has one 97 gallon tank. Is this a useless switch for an older setup with two tanks?
Most likely it is a two way switch designed to take a reading on both tanks. You didn’t say what size your boat is but back in that day anything 22’ and larger had an option for dual fuel tanks. They just used the same switch for a single fuel tank application.
I too replaced my switch panel about 5 years Ago. Go to Blue Seas electrical for panel options. It’s hard if not impossible to find a ready made panel to fit the hole. I made a new panel from scratch and while it works fine, try to find one that is factory assembled. You will be happier.
I have a ‘91 offshore 24’ in Florida and its STILL a great boat
Hope this helps
Alan Campbell
VERO Beach

alan campbell

Reaction score
Most likely it is a two way switch designed to take a reading on both tanks. You didn’t say what size your boat is but back in that day anything 22’ and larger had an option for dual fuel tanks. They just used the same switch for a single fuel tank application.
I too replaced my switch panel about 5 years Ago. Go to Blue Seas electrical for panel options. It’s hard if not impossible to find a ready made panel to fit the hole. I made a new panel from scratch and while it works fine, try to find one that is factory assembled. You will be happier.
I have a ‘91 offshore 24’ in Florida and its STILL a great boat
Hope this helps
Alan Campbell
VERO Beach
PS: do not use glass fuses, use spade fuse application. I used glass but should have opted for spade fuses

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
PS: do not use glass fuses, use spade fuse application. I used glass but should have opted for spade fuses
I will go for a panel with circuit breakers from newwiremarine.com. I'll go for lit rocker switches and push-button circuit breakers. I'd like to simplify my life of glass fuses and blade switches
my boat is an 87 and there is definitely a big space in the back where a fuel tank was removed under the deck and a single tank moved forward.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the same hull as you, went with a newwire panel as well and I ditched that fuel switch as I have only one tank.