Pasco Battery Not Selling Deka Marine Battery.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Now they are selling a battery called "Precision". Supposedly made in Kentucky. I never heard of this company. Are any of you using this battery? Sales clerk said it's not an economy battery. Just so you have some idea of their price point, it was $110 for a group 24 marine.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Never heard of them. Never heard of Pasco battery, either. Is Precision the company that makes them or just the label on them? Find out who makes them. Personally, Deka is still my favorite (although you can find it under the Duracell labeling, too). If I bought anything else, it would be made by Interstate. I see you're in MD - there's gotta be other stores around that carry Deka.

That's about what Deka's sell for around here - a little more, a little less, depending on which group 24 it is.

Fishtales

Reaction score
X2. I got 2 Duracells a few years ago. No issues.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Never heard of them. Never heard of Pasco battery, either. Is Precision the company that makes them or just the label on them? Find out who makes them. Personally, Deka is still my favorite (although you can find it under the Duracell labeling, too). If I bought anything else, it would be made by Interstate. I see you're in MD - there's gotta be other stores around that carry Deka.

That's about what Deka's sell for around here - a little more, a little less, depending on which group 24 it is.
Here's my options for group 24 batteries

1. West Marine : 675/550 Amps, DUAL Purpose battery, warranty is one year free replacement. Cost $160.00 Made by East Penn Manufacturing / Deka

2. NAPA: 675/550 Amps, Dual Purpose, warranty is 3 month free replacement. Cost is $100.00. Also made by East Penn / Deka.

3. Deka Dealer: Local guy around here had no interest in doing a special order for me. Keep looking.

Seems like the same part numbers but you're getting a much better warranty from West Marine. With the length of time my boat sits on a trailer, that 3 month warranty would be a really bad deal.

Dennis, in answer to your question about Precision, that is only a trade name. Precision is made by Continental Battery, and from what I can see, Pasco has a large ownership stake in Precision. After digging deep into the facts, Precision doesn't make a dual purpose battery - only starting types.

Thanks for the input.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think I'd go for the NAPA version. Wait to buy it till you're ready to put the boat in the water and that 3 months will get you about half a season. Deka's area great batteries and there's an extremely small chance that it's going to crap out between month 4 to 12. For more than half the cost of a new one, I'd easily take that gamble. 'Course, maybe you can show West the price at NAPA and they'll match it without asking about the warranty....... ;)

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does West match prices? Also, I looked at that chain, called Batteries Plus. They Sell Duracell ( as you noted, made by Deka ). Get this: Dual Purpose battery, One year replacement warranty, and price? $95. I gotta be missing something.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I pretty much never buy anything from West - I have better sources. But I've heard they will match advertised prices? Yes, Batteries Plus - sorry, forgot to mention that in my first post.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those Duracell (made by East Penn/Deka) Dual Purpose Group 24 batteries are $74 apiece at Sams Club. And if you aren't already a member, they are running a deal right now where you can join for $45 and they will give you a $45 cash card to use in the store.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I have the Sam's Duracell batteries in mine, but recently had to get a battery for my son's little Ranger truck. I picked up a Interstate battery with a non-prorated 3 year replacement warranty. The price was cheaper than other shops as well. I need to look at their marine batteries next time I'm in there.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those Duracell (made by East Penn/Deka) Dual Purpose Group 24 batteries are $74 apiece at Sams Club. And if you aren't already a member, they are running a deal right now where you can join for $45 and they will give you a $45 cash card to use in the store.
Get out of town. That's a good deal. I checked the closest Sam's Club and supposedly in stock. That is an amazing offer of getting TWO batteries for $103.00. I owe you. Want me to come up and put a roof on your house some weekend?

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Get out of town. That's a good deal. I checked the closest Sam's Club and supposedly in stock. That is an amazing offer of getting TWO batteries for $103.00. I owe you. Want me to come up and put a roof on your house some weekend?
Parthery: I looked at my local Sam's for that membership deal, and called the store. Neither means had any knowledge of the $45 promotion ( anymore? ). Thanks for putting it up there.