paste wax

freddy063

Reaction score
Paste wax ? how many coats, how long does it take? Can you move your arms the next day? Is it worth it? I feel like the Karita Kid wax on,wax off! my arms hurt.... :bang I only have about ten more feet till I'm done the 2nd coat, took me a full day.

mboyatt

Reaction score
Heck yeah your arms are going to hurt tomorrow. I compounded my boat with a machine to remove oxidation, then waxed. You talk about pain! Well worth it in my book, though. My 1994 hull looks brand new. You would normally wax twice a season if you are anal. I believe the wax protects from uv damage to the gelcoat. Essentially the oxidation and dulling you get from neglect. I am no expert here, but I assume that is what the wax is doing. Shine on, grasshopper! :D

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
How come you are not using an orbital buffer to apply it? Also, and I could be wrong here, I am not sure there is any real benefit to applying another coat of wax because it seems to me the solvents in the 2nd coat are just removing the first coat. Now if you polish the boat with a finishing material like 3M Finesse that brings out oxidation and creates a glossy wet look and then you wax it, that is another story. The wax does help retard UV damage and such from occurring. I just waxed my boat this weekend. Used colonites and applied it with a machine and removed it by hand.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Buffer is the only way to go...Bosch buffer...weighs 2 pounds less than most others....your arms will still hurt but not as much. Just wet sanded, compounded and waxed my 208...took me three weeks doing a little each day but boat looks new! Boat detailed just wouldn't show up.

freddy063

Reaction score
thanks for you help,I guess I could use the 7 speed buffer i got a few years ago, but I found the buffer works faster and make the boat look good, but the finish doesn't look deep and doesn't fight the green and brown slime as well as the hand wax job. I'm not sure if the first coat is wiped off with the second but I can see the different between the coats. Since I only wax once a year , because the mooring waxing doesn't work well, the dingy just doesn't stay next to the work, I guess maybe next year I'll try the buffer again.

fishbust

Reaction score
You can build up wax, if that is what you are using. Cleaning waxes and polishes won't build up like a paste wax such as old school gliptone. I use the gliptone on my car, 3 times over the winter and it is good to go until next year, rarely even have to use soap to wash it, just hose it and microfiber dry.

Jas

Reaction score
For years I began every season with a mild 3M compound & cleaner followed by an application of carnauba wax using a light weight buffer, sometimes twice. A couple of years ago I switched to Meguiars cleaner boat wax combination in a liquid application and applied the whole process by hand. Can’t really tell any difference in the quality of the shine but it is a whole lot easier. Don’t worry, your arms will still be sore!

Regardless of the method I would always have to apply at least one more wax in mid season and expect to do so again this year. I do believe I have lost microns off my gel coat so maybe that is why. If others have success with the hard wax and buffer, so be it, but the liquid wax is OK for me. Good luck.