Pee hole is dry

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
When I started my 2001 Yamaha OX66 250hp for the first time today I noticed there was no water coming
Out of the pee hole while running in a big bucket of water. Any ideas? Thinking about changing the impeller-about 3 yrs old. Checked for blockage-none.is there anything else it could be? Suggestions please!!

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
Don't know if it matters but when I attached a hose to the fesh water flush tube, it peed just fine. Don't know if that's an indicator of anything..

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Don't know if it matters but when I attached a hose to the fesh water flush tube, it peed just fine.

Back it into the lake and start if. If there's no tell-tale, R and R the water pump. If there is a tell-tale, find another way to supply water in the driveway ... :wink:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It does matter.

At least on some Yamahas. The factory says my 2007 200 4-stroke needs TWO sources of water,(on dry land, obviously) to keep from frying the water pump, impeller, etc.
That's probably why the engine's telltale worked fine with the hose attachment hooked up.
Now, mine only gets run with muffs on the lower unit AND a hose to the flushing system.

Slacktime

Reaction score
I found that if you "prime" the motor from the flush attchment until it starts peeing, then quickly put the muffs on, it will run and continue peeing.

Marlin 2 X F225

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
So I changed the water pump kit. Launched at the marina for the season and it peed strong. That said the water pump was only 2 yrs old and I probably could have gotten more life out of it. All set now. But you were right curmedgeaon I should have just launched!!!