Penn 209 reels and rods

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a guy wanting to sell me 4 8ft Ugly stick rods with 4 Penn 209 reels all with colored lead core line. He is asking $250 for all of them.

I have tried trollong with my spinning rods, but they are not the best so, is this a good deal to be used for Striper and mackerel trolling ?

Thanks

richie rich

Reaction score
its a bit small in my opinion for saltwater trolling....20lb series.......you get a 40 inch striper and you'll wish you had a bigger reel.....but it may be OK for smaller waters or fish size......those are $70 reels....the 8 foot rod sounds big for that reel as well.....whats the rod configuration....15-30lb, 20-40, 20-50 ?? fast taper, med taper etc??

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure on the rod specs. I would mainly use these for local lake trolling and near shore trolling. I`ll ask the question about the rods. I believe the seller used them for lake trolling for striper and catfish.

I just wondered if he was out of line with the price, I know you can spend a lot more, but they are used but listed as good condition.

richie rich

Reaction score
I think a lot depends on their age and condition....its not a great price, but its not out of this world either....new...I'd guess at 500-600 total....but price means nothing if they're put in the wrong type of fishing scenario and most of all, how would they feel in your hands? Maybe you can buy 1, try it and grab the other 3 if you like em'? Maybe he'll hold them for you?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
8' is a long rod to troll with unless it's for bunker spoons. With outboards and a bracket I perfer 6' - 7' rods but everyone has their preference. I'd pass on the deal, a 20# class reel thrown on the wrong rod for trolling. If you don't have to spend much money to get started. Get a Penn 4/0 Senator or a 20#-30# graphite lever drag reel from Penn or Shimano and pair it to a cheap Penn, Tsunami, or any other rod made for trolling. You don't need roller guides but they will not hurt if it's in the price range. Just use the line rated for the reel and it will be OK. If you put on 80 pound braid and tweak the drags the reel is going to grenade. Senators are bulletproof but have a star drag which is not as nice for trolling but works.