Pettit Paints Never Again!

twinlks

Reaction score
Over the years have used several different bottom paints and have always had good experiences. Several months ago my marina in Florida suggested I have them use Pettit SR 60. Hull was in good shape before and after it was applied. My Grady was at dock for only several months when I hauled it out and found this paint just didnt do its job. Called Pettit since boat was now up north. They were nothing but "excuses" always trying to blame the marina or me for the poor results of their very expensive paint. Ken the customer service MGR was absolutely no help, He wouldnt even send me a qt to redo the areas where their paint didnt adhere. What a waste of time talking with this company!! Never again will I use their products.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's probably more likely to have had some type of interaction between the existing paint and the new stuff, or poor prep. Some paints don't play well together and you do end up with poor results where the new stuff flakes off. There's certainly a chance that you got a bad batch - that can happen to any manufacturer - but I would think that would be low on the probability list. Pettit makes good stuff - I wouldn't denounce them for a situation that may have nothing to do with them.

seasick

Reaction score
twinlks said:
Over the years have used several different bottom paints and have always had good experiences. Several months ago my marina in Florida suggested I have them use Pettit SR 60. Hull was in good shape before and after it was applied. My Grady was at dock for only several months when I hauled it out and found this paint just didnt do its job. Called Pettit since boat was now up north. They were nothing but "excuses" always trying to blame the marina or me for the poor results of their very expensive paint. Ken the customer service MGR was absolutely no help, He wouldnt even send me a qt to redo the areas where their paint didnt adhere. What a waste of time talking with this company!! Never again will I use their products.
Sorry to hear about your issues. I have been using Petttit for three seasons and am very happy with the performance and longevity. I use the water based Hydrocoat and it is so nice to be able to wash up with soap and water.
I don't know what you problem was but as mentioned the prep may have not have been done correctly or also as mentioned, the previous paint may not have been compatible. Personally, I would lean towards blaming the applicator ( your marina) than the paint.
From the Pettit web site, if your hull had any of the following paints
Ablative Plus
AF-33
Tarr & Wonson
Bottomkote Act
Bottomkote
Bottomkote Pro
Bottomkote NT
Pacifica Plus
CPP Plus
Red Hand
Sea Mate
Premium SSA
Ultima SSA

They had to be removed prior to using SR-60 ( not just sanded)

Reaction score
Website
WWW.InternationalMarineService.com
I have used Pettit for many years on boats big and small. My most recent experience has been with Hydrocoat SR. My fathers 18 Parker had made it over 20 years without bottom paint and looked showroom new. Much to my dismay he had finally reached a point where he just wasn't wanting to continue to have the maintenance associated with a boat that had no bottom paint.

I suggested barrier coat and the HydroCoat SR. He had the yard down at his summer place do the prep and application. After putting the boat in the water for 2 days the paint was coming off from the chine to the waterline which prompted him to pull the boat and inspect the rest. He sent me pictures and I immediately knew the issue. The paint crew had waited too long after applying the barrier coat to the apply the HydroCoat SR. No bond had occurred either chemically or mechanically between the barrier coat and the HydroCoat SR.

He had the yard contact me and I asked vague questions and just as I suspected too much time had passed. " We applied the barrier coat at noon and let it dry overnight before putting on the bottom paint" The yard attempted to tell me it wasn't there fault and not their problem since he had supplied the products. I made a deal with the yard that if I sanded off the bottom paint, prepped and applied the Hydrocoat SR from the same cans he supplied and it stuck that they would eat the bill for the application labor and materials. You know how this turned out!

IT STUCK !

Prep and proper application is the key to any paint product. I suspect the issue in your case is hot with the product but with the application.

seasick

Reaction score
InternationalMarineB said:
I have used Pettit for many years on boats big and small. My most recent experience has been with Hydrocoat SR. My fathers 18 Parker had made it over 20 years without bottom paint and looked showroom new. Much to my dismay he had finally reached a point where he just wasn't wanting to continue to have the maintenance associated with a boat that had no bottom paint.

I suggested barrier coat and the HydroCoat SR. He had the yard down at his summer place do the prep and application. After putting the boat in the water for 2 days the paint was coming off from the chine to the waterline which prompted him to pull the boat and inspect the rest. He sent me pictures and I immediately knew the issue. The paint crew had waited too long after applying the barrier coat to the apply the HydroCoat SR. No bond had occurred either chemically or mechanically between the barrier coat and the HydroCoat SR.

He had the yard contact me and I asked vague questions and just as I suspected too much time had passed. " We applied the barrier coat at noon and let it dry overnight before putting on the bottom paint" The yard attempted to tell me it wasn't there fault and not their problem since he had supplied the products. I made a deal with the yard that if I sanded off the bottom paint, prepped and applied the Hydrocoat SR from the same cans he supplied and it stuck that they would eat the bill for the application labor and materials. You know how this turned out!

IT STUCK !

Prep and proper application is the key to any paint product. I suspect the issue in your case is hot with the product but with the application.

I completely agree. The barrier coat especially if Interprotect 2000 has very detailed and specific application instructions. The time window between final coat ( and intermediate coats) and bottom paint has to be followed as you mention. I don't care if the owner supplied the paint, the yard should be able to read the instructions or if nor familiar with the materials, reference the manufacturer's website.