Pic of Grady White without striping or logos

DSC

Reaction score
I have read several threads asking about removing the logos and striping. I am actually in the process of replacing mine, but took a picture with the boat in stealth mode.

Attachments

• 24500B08-CD9E-4573-A1A9-3ECB6AE417A2.jpeg
    24500B08-CD9E-4573-A1A9-3ECB6AE417A2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 93
Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks clean, but missing something. I had mine like that earlier this year replacing the stripes also. 20180414_145348.jpg

Graybeard

Reaction score
I bought a 2003 Marlin 30 with both the hull decals and engine decals have seen better days. I had a hard enough time getting the old name decals off, how did you guys get the hull side decals off?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've gotten them off in the past with a heat gun (like a hair drier only hotter). If you have an old hair drier you could try that. Then work a corner (ok to use a small pair of pliers to grab the edge. Once you get it, you rip it at a tight angle slowly. If you every took the membrane off a rack of ribs you have some experience.

seasick

Reaction score
When you get the decals off there is a good chance that you will see the outline of them on the bare hull. After all those years, the hull oxidizes and changes color but the parts under the decals don't.
If the decals you want to remove are the thicker type, try to peel a little edge up and then blow the hot air under the lifted part as you try to pull the decal off. In other words, you want to blow the air between the hull and the underside of the decal. For thin decals you can apply the heat directly to the outside of the vinyl. Keep the heat gun moving and take care not to 'burn' the paint/gelcoat..

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I removed my decals off my 1996Grady adventure, and eraser wheel was quicker and safer then the heat gun but takes a little more muscle. My boat is old and you can see the shadows of the logos, I have the replacement logos and will do in the spring when it warms up.

Attachments

• 20180913_150151.jpg
    20180913_150151.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought a 2003 Marlin 30 with both the hull decals and engine decals have seen better days. I had a hard enough time getting the old name decals off, how did you guys get the hull side decals off?

I tried the heat gun/ hair dryer first but my stripes were to brittle to peel, they just came off in little pieces. Went to local auto parts store and picked up a rubber eraser wheel to get mine off. Much quicker, just keep it moving and on the slowest speed you can get by with to remove the stripe. Started off too fast and basically melted the old stripe into the gel coat. Mine is a '04, so after stripe and cabin side decal removal, there was ghosting from the old stripe and decal. IMG_1749.JPGIMG_1897.JPG20180413_202048.jpg

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I'll have to try the eraser. Thanks for the tip.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I am removing striping from mine. It appears some sections had old-original striping under "newer" striping. I was able to use a heat gun and remove 1/2 the striping and lettering in 20 minutes. Still have starboard side to do. There is a sticky residue left and it's different in consistency based on location (whether 2 layers or one layer of striping were present). That...my friends...is going to take some elbow grease. Do you think the eraser would remove that residue?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It will,,,, but you're better option is some 3M adhesive remover. After using the eraser wheel, I went back in places and used that, then wiped down the area with acetone. Made for a clean area to work with for new stripe application.
IMG_1912.JPG

seasick

Reaction score
I am removing striping from mine. It appears some sections had old-original striping under "newer" striping. I was able to use a heat gun and remove 1/2 the striping and lettering in 20 minutes. Still have starboard side to do. There is a sticky residue left and it's different in consistency based on location (whether 2 layers or one layer of striping were present). That...my friends...is going to take some elbow grease. Do you think the eraser would remove that residue?
Try acetone first if you have some. Nail polish contains acetone generally. If you don't have any get a small can or bottle of Goop Off. It's amazing what that stuff removes.
WD-40 may also work. It is mostly a kerosene bases solution.

Topjimmy

Reaction score
Guess I got lucky on my 94 tourney I just used a Razor blade scrapper and had them all off in a about an hour same with the engine cowling decals

UCPA111

Reaction score
Try acetone first if you have some. Nail polish contains acetone generally. If you don't have any get a small can or bottle of Goop Off. It's amazing what that stuff removes.
WD-40 may also work. It is mostly a kerosene bases solution.

I have used some acetone. I was wondering if there was something a little easier on gelcoat that still removed the glue/adhesive. May try the WD40 and the 3M adhesive remover. Thanks!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don't know that I'd use WD40 as it may leave a oily residue in the area you're going to be putting the stripes back in. Creating more work for yourself to get the area clean enough for the stripes.

seasick

Reaction score
That is true but I always wash the area with a detergent after using WD40. Same goes for the GoopOff. It is even messier to clean off.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I used acetone after the wheel with no issues or impact on the gelcoat.