Picked up a used Boat cover

SirGrady226

Reaction score
I have been wanting a good quality full cover for my 87 226, but just have not had the funds to get a new one. I spotted this cover from a Grady 23 Gulfstream on Facebook classified, it had a couple small rips in it but overall is in nice condition. Asking price was 350.00, I haggled it down to 225.00 and was able to bring it home. I'm not sure of the differences in the 23 Gulfstream and my 226 Seafarer, hoping the cover will work ok. I know the beam is over a foot wider, that shouldn't be a problem, just more overhang. I'm going to have my canvas guy modify it for twin outboards and patch the small rips. I think if it all works out it will turn out to be a good deal, this isn't a cheap mail order cover and would be quite costly brand new. Anyone knowing of any major problems with this cover fitting please chime in.

Boat cover.jpg

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have you trial fit it?? If it covers well you should be fine. Biggest thing is to have plenty of tie downs.

According to the order sheet in the paperwork I got with the boat, my cover measures 26'6" x 108" and this is how it covers.

20180111_085420.jpg

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Have you trial fit it?? If it covers well you should be fine. Biggest thing is to have plenty of tie downs.

According to the order sheet in the paperwork I got with the boat, my cover measures 26'6" x 108" and this is how it covers.

View attachment 8297
I haven't trial fitted it yet, should cover fine since the Gulfstream is a tag longer, and wider. Severe storms were passing through today and prevented me from doing anything. The one thing I found out, rolling this up in the driveway creates a large build up of static electricity, I got zapped a couple times pretty good. :mad:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I haven't trial fitted it yet, should cover fine since the Gulfstream is a tag longer, and wider. Severe storms were passing through today and prevented me from doing anything. The one thing I found out, rolling this up in the driveway creates a large build up of static electricity, I got zapped a couple times pretty good. :mad:

I'd say with the storms in the area and the atmosphere was unstable, contributed to the extra static in the cover.

Size wise you should be fine. A little big won't hurt anything, too small, they are hard to stretch to make fit.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Agree that a little bigger is better. Got my cover from boat covers direct and ordered a little bigger. Tie downs are key to keeping the cover tight. 3D6FDBC6-94A2-43CC-88DC-0169CFD814B3.jpeg

Reactions: SirGrady226

SirGrady226

Reaction score
My canvas guy made a couple nips and tucks on the cover and it fits really nice. Now maybe the boat will need less cleaning maintenance when it's not being used.

boat cover 3.jpgBoat cover 1.jpgboat cover 2.jpg

Reactions: Ky Grady

seasick

Reaction score
Treat your canvas guy nicely!
He did a good job.
You may want to apply a treatment to the cover, something that will repel water and maybe reduce the sun's UV. It will prolong the cover's life (and it will still breathe)

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That turned out great! Looks like it was made for it. which I guess it was. Nice to keep them covered or stored indoors if you can.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Treat your canvas guy nicely!
He did a good job.
You may want to apply a treatment to the cover, something that will repel water and maybe reduce the sun's UV. It will prolong the cover's life (and it will still breathe)
Yeah, I have a gallon of the treatment and plan on doing just that.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
That turned out great! Looks like it was made for it. which I guess it was. Nice to keep them covered or stored indoors if you can.
Feeling pretty lucky to only have around 300.00 invested total, should help keeping the ole girl looking good.