Pink on hull?

Genobg

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Just had my 2012 GW 275 power washed. While it was up on lift, we noticed pink splotches on hull. They were not paint. They did not come off with the power wash. What do you think? How can I clean them off? Thanks for your advice.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Reactions: angrypirate

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
On the HULL? That's one I personally haven't seen before. On the vinyl, yes, but it seems to reason that the causes would be different. On the plus side, it's likely much easier to get rid of whatever that is on the hull. Try spraying it down (mist it, out of the sun) with a mixture of bleach:water of about 1:4. Give it about 5 or 10 minutes and then mist again if needed. Adding a tiny bit of something like Dawn can help it cling to the gelcoat. White paper towels will cling to the surface, as well - concentrating the bleaching action.

On & Off hull cleaner would be my next go-to if the bleach doesn't work.

Again, though, I have never come across this. But the methods above won't hurt anything and are readily available and easy to do. Maybe someone else with actual experience with this can chime in, though?

The only other thing I can think of is some type of leftover micro-organism. The above methods should rememdy that.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I had pink blotches on the hull of my BW 23 Outrage and they where from barnacles feet where the AF was too low. After a day or so they turned grey and then slowly disappeared.
Sunscreen can stain Gelacoat too, but unlikely on the outside of the hull. I was continuously fighting on the 99 Venture 34 with the pink stains from my guests and they where there whey they where sitting, sometimes a butt shape. Probably the old, worn gelcoat is more delicate than new and in good shape one.

On-Off works best but is very aggressive, don't use it frequently and absolutely use personal protection, particularly thick rubber gloves and safety glasses and don't inhale the fumes from contact with chalky stuff.
On-Off had a wired reaction on my hands, every time I used it without gloves my hand joints where hurting,
so buy a pair of long rubber gloves.

Chris

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had them earlier this year, below the water line, which I believe is what the OP is referencing. IIRC, my boat had been in the water for about a week. These are not spots, they are larger, a square foot or more, look like clouds. They went away after a couple of days. Bleach and scrubbing is a waste of time, it is a chemical reaction, not a stain.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Never heard of it on the hull. As stated, on the cushions and bolsters it was a problem with bad vinyl that caused a fungus to grow. On my 282 they showed up after a year or so. GW replaced all the bolsters under warranty. Never had it again.