Placards Required?

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Example from google: Oil Discharge: The USCG oil discharge placard that you need to have must be a certain size and placed in the proper location. The placard must be 5 inches by 8 inches in size, and it must be placed in your machinery space in areas where it can be easily seen by everyone. It may also be placed at the bilge or the ballast pump control station. The language of the sign must be in a language that is understood by the crew aboard your vessel, so you may need a sign in multiple languages in order to comply with the regulations.

I have twin outboards. I do not have a generator. I do have an installed head and holding tank. I placed all of my placards on the inside of the console door. I was boarded by the USCG last year and they didn't object to the location of the placards.

I suspect for a boat like mine (newer CC with outboards and super clean) the USCG, Harbor Master, Environmental Police, etc. would be mostly lenient and their expectations for the placards. I believe this to be especially true, if everything else (safety equipment, no booze on board, etc.) is in good order.

I suspect for larger inboard boats they would be more strict.

Last edited:
Reactions: A&J Outdoors

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
26ft and over WITH an enclosed engine compartment. technically you don't need them if you don't have a generator. But that doesn't mean the Coasties know the rules...
They were on the boat(in a drawer) when I bought it . I put them on the head door because its the largest flat surface on the boat.

btw, the placards have nothing to do with black water(sewage) or grey water, even though there are strict rules on that.
Inside of 3 miles you need to have the seacock for the macerator closed and locked or handle removed

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
26ft and over WITH an enclosed engine compartment. technically you don't need them if you don't have a generator. But that doesn't mean the Coasties know the rules...
They were on the boat(in a drawer) when I bought it . I put them on the head door because its the largest flat surface on the boat.

btw, the placards have nothing to do with black water(sewage) or grey water, even though there are strict rules on that.
Inside of 3 miles you need to have the seacock for the macerator closed and locked or handle removed
Thanks, already removed the handle to the seacock. Yeah during researching I did see some that said the Oil discharge placard was for boats with enclosed engines. I do not have a generator.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yes and yes. Stop by a USCG or Auxillary office. They usually have them and usually offer them if you don't have them. Beware, they like them real visible....

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have my oil disharge under the stern seat bt my spare oil containers and the coast guard has never questioned that location. Waste and garbage are posted in some the door of the head area - also no CG issues

freddy063

Reaction score
I got all my signs mounted on the outside of the head door. A place where everyone can see them and the don't take away from anything.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That's a good spot. I had them installed inside the aft drop down door to the bilge. They didn't like them there. Wanted them outside and visible. Gave me some to install.
I seem to have lost them.....