Placements for amplifier and new battery

Fredbrad

Reaction score
I would like to install an amplifier for a pair of tower speakers in a Sailfish 282, and I wanted to know if you could give me an idea about whether it is possible to place an independent battery only for the amplifier inside the cabin or in any location without any kind of danger. The amplifier could be located in the single bed attached onto the starboard side. Amplifier is a punch Rockford fosgate PM1000X5. Any advice will be appreciated

seasick

Reaction score
It is possible to install a separate battery for the amp. Having the battery close to the amp will allow smaller gauge wiring probably due to the shorter distance. The trickier part is keeping the battery charged. One solution is to wire in an ACR (automatic charge relay). Another might be to extend an aux charge circuit from a motor assuming your motors support it.
You will also need a breaker or fuse block and a method to disconnect power from the radio when not needed

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I added a 4th battery to my 268 Islander. Similar boat to yours. The battery is in the forward compartment where the water heater was. It powers the bow thruster, windlass and the amp for the stereo. Battery is a Duracell 34M AGM from Sam's Club. Lightweight, high CCA and priced right at $134. You need a AGM type battery - they don't vent and create a explosion hazard. Added charging cable to second engine to charge this battery while on the water. Also installed a single bank charger in same compartment.

The amp for my Fusion stereo is installed in the compartment with my refrigerator.

IMG_0531.jpeg

Fredbrad

Reaction score
Excellent! This clarifies all my doubts, good information and the picture is very helpful. Thanks to both members and the forum for so much help