Plastic Door Frames

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My Sailfish 272 has access doors into each seat pedestal. The port pedestal has the internal tackle drawers, the S/B pedestal has storage space. The door frames are rigid plastic of some type(not starboard). They have become extremely yellowed through the years, probably through sun damage. Have tried several plastic/starboard fabricators for duplication of the frames, the black acrylic doors are in great shape. No luck......

Has anyone ever tried painting plastic parts with any success??? Any thoughts/suggestions???

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've taken care of other plastic items on a boat (speaker grills, deck plates, etc) by painting them. The first step is to use something like Krylon Fusion for plastic. This will bond with the plastic very well. Once that paint has dried, you can use any brand/color of spray paint you want since at this point you're just putting paint on paint. However, you may very well find the color you want in the Fusion line.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
DennisG01......great suggestion of using the Krylon Fusion......applied two coats as directed and allowed to dry/"cure" for 7 days.....look super and the paint is really hard.....now chips as yet. Thanks again.