Plastic insert disintegrating...

jfmagana

Reaction score
The plastic insert that is next to my helm chair on my 03 228 has cracked in several spots and the screws that hold the Plexiglas piece totally disintegrated (probably from the salt air). What I'm referring to is that area where you can store stuff next to your seat (a cheesy piece of thin molded plastic). I hardly ever even put stuff into this area and find it really disappointing that it's such poor quality...anybody experienced this same problem? I was thinking of taking the damn thing out and maybe fiberglassing the back of it to keep the cracks from propagating and give it some strength.

gw204

Reaction score
Glass isn't going to stick to that. Your best bet is to use it to first make a mold that you can then lay up a new part in.

jfmagana

Reaction score
gw204 said:
Glass isn't going to stick to that. Your best bet is to use it to first make a mold that you can then lay up a new part in.

Really? What I was thinking is to glass the backside of the plastic insert after roughening it up with some heavy grit sandpaper...I'm surprised to hear that fiberglass will not adhere to plastic. Making a mold is a good idea, but, honestly, that's probably out of my league as regards fiberglassing skills.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
On the cheesy insert it sounds like the GW vendor that made it cut a corner and did not put UV inhibitor in the base material. As for any screw on a GW corroding, this is absolutely unacceptable. I would definitely go back to GW five years old or not , this is a QC issue. GW prices and sells on quality and this sure as hell ain’t quality.

jfmagana

Reaction score
Tashmoo said:
On the cheesy insert it sounds like the GW vendor that made it cut a corner and did not put UV inhibitor in the base material. As for any screw on a GW corroding, this is absolutely unacceptable. I would definitely go back to GW five years old or not , this is a QC issue. GW prices and sells on quality and this sure as hell ain’t quality.

The screws literally disintegrated...there was nothing but a rust colored powder left. The plastic insert developed some huge cracks in it...almost top to bottom. I'll take some pictures and post them so you can see what I mean.

All-in-all, I suppose you guys are right...even with the boat being out of warranty, Grady will most likely take care of the issue (it can't possibly be a very expensive part and it's good feed-back for their manufacturing process).

Thanks for the advice gents.