plastic wood trim looks lousy

G

gradydaniele

The old fake team trim whatever pieces were the first thing to go when I bought my Grady.
Home Depot sells a PVC plastic material that works good with wood tools roughly the same size and shape as the stock trim.
Go to Home Depot and buy four or five pieces of the stuff they come in 8 foot sections.
go home unscrew one piece Of trim a time and match it up to the new material cut and re-screw done.
The material doesn’t work doesn’t bend but does have a tendency to scratch kind of easily but all in all a very very cost-effective alternative to that very expensive star board stuff.
It’s a fun Sunday project could have it done in an afternoon ( if your good with tools)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/AZEK-Trim-1 ... /202970143
Mine came out great and I always get compliments about it from other Grady owners my Marina

TonyD

Reaction score
gradydaniele said:
The old fake team trim whatever pieces were the first thing to go when I bought my Grady.
Home Depot sells a PVC plastic material that works good with wood tools roughly the same size and shape as the stock trim.
Go to Home Depot and buy four or five pieces of the stuff they come in 8 foot sections.
go home unscrew one piece Of trim a time and match it up to the new material cut and re-screw done.
The material doesn’t work doesn’t bend but does have a tendency to scratch kind of easily but all in all a very very cost-effective alternative to that very expensive star board stuff.
It’s a fun Sunday project could have it done in an afternoon ( if your good with tools)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/AZEK-Trim-1 ... /202970143
Mine came out great and I always get compliments about it from other Grady owners my Marina

Thanks for the tip! This is going to be 1 of the first things I look to do/use come spring.

ric2352

Reaction score
Hmmm...1" thick and 31/2" wide....some serious cutting there.....good option thou....thanks for the info

LongIslandGulfstream

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Just wanted to let everyone know that I've followed Art's advice on painting the duratrim on my 98 Gulfstream and the result is 1000 times better! A nice winter project too for us northerners. Can't wait to finish it off and install this spring.image.jpgimage.jpg

Reactions: artodea

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I might do anodized aluminum as a replacement or aluminum strips painted white .
I did anodized aluminum. Home Depot carries, but basically search for outdoor aluminum threshold moulding, gold or silver is typical. I used this anodized mirror finish. I liked that it has a lip that I ran over the edge but there is also flat bar.
Dirt cheap, $13 ....
anodized aluminum is non corrosive. ....
aluminum does NOT expand in the heat like starboard
looks GREAT

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
After trying the paint method, after first season with lots of chips, I think the Interlux 2 part paint I used was too hard and need to use a 1 part urethane that might be able to handle more impact for this type application.
However, still with the starboard in place and the crazy warping at times, even with the loose screw holes to allow expansion, I just don't have a perfect solution as none of us do so far.
However, I just had a crazy thought....what about that wrap stuff they are applying to boat hulls nowdays? I am not sure if you apply it and it is an adhesive or if you can heat shrink it on? I don't know anything about it, but would be easy to apply and trim I would think and if it holds up on a boat hull, then would think it has a chance on the trim?