plb or epirb that is the question

lime4x4

Reaction score
Since were getting into offshore fishing now it's time to get some better safety equipment. We currently go offshore with other boats. But wewant to start going offshore by our selves occ. We have 2 boats that go offshore 86 grady offshore and a 86 268 searay. Both boats are equiped with vhf's and signal flares. Also have a floating hand held vhf that we bring along. In the process of getting ditch bag together to carry on which ever boat we decide to use for fishing. When it comes to selecting locating beacons that's what i'm not sure about. The epirb are registored to a boat while plb's are registored to individual person. It's just me and the wife that fish on the boat. I was thinking of getting 2 plb's one for me one for the wife. But then when u add up the cost it's around the same price for a epirb. I'm not cheap well i i'm but not when it comes to something that might save a life. Spending 600 bucks for something hopefully we would never need is well worth it

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We chose the PLB route and are happy with it. Your idea of two is excellent, provided you keep them on each person. That might be a great idea, but not so likely to execute all the time? Having at least one in the ditch bag is what we do.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I went the PLB route also because I have 2 boats and also fish on a lot of other people's boats.

The only real difference, besides the fact that that PLBs don't self deploy, is the 24 hr vs 48 hr battery life.

I've never been able to figure out how to register a PLB to a person rather than a boat. I just change the MMSI data on line when I use different boats. But even if your unit is registered to the wrong boat, they will still find you.

J-Sea

Reaction score
Carry both; everything in offshore fishing is about redundancy; in my opinion it's very difficult to overdue it when it comes to your safety and that of the crew; when we look at what an off-shore trip costs in bait, fuel and food, to me buying these items wasn't worth thinking about it twice; also, in terms of other off-shore items, (hope you don't mind me giving my opinion) you may want to pick up stay-a-float putty for the unlikely hole or thru hull that busts (~$20 at west marine) and survival tape (can be used to temporarily fix leaks in hoses etc to get you back to shore in a bind; also, carrying a jumper pack (buy one with appropriate amperage to start your size outboard) is a big saver should you run the batteries dead while off shore)

Lastly, if you were dead in the water (motors aren't starting) and all electrical power is also gone, precluding use of the fixed mount VHF, having a handheld GPS and another method of communicating is always good (eg the handheld VHF - which may only transmit 5 or so miles give or take) and / or a satellite phone - eliminates the need for activating the epirb or plb and sending the cavalry if only adrift).

Just my two cents and I like the redundant feeling of comfort.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are most of these PLBs and epirbs pretty much created equally, as far as broadcast distance, frequencies, service lifespans, etc? I'm planning on a purchase soon, and don't much about the various products.

J-Sea

Reaction score
Vero - ACR ResQkink Plus is a 406mhz GPS personal locator beacon that is bouyant and with an internal GPS and is approx. $269 at west marine; ACR Epirb global Ifix Pro Category II Manual Release uses the same 406mhz spectrum and is like $469 at west marine. The epirb battery lasts 48 hours while the plb lasts 24 hours. I believe the batteries are due for replacement every 5 years. Both of these use 406mhz signaling technology as well as GPS positioning. if you will be running offshore it definitely makes sense to purchase the epirb first (in my opinion) and then when budget permits, to have the plb as a backup. As an alternative, you can also buy a category I epirb which has a hydrostatic release and deploys automatically if the boat sinks. You should be aware that there are also cheaper epirbs out there with more dated technology (eg it does not have an internal GPS). Don't hold me to exact quotes here but the epirb with the internal GPS will send the cavalry to within a few hundred feet of your exact location while the cheaper versions without internal GPS (assuming they are not manually connected to your boats GPS with a cable) send the rescue squad to within a one to two square mile area. Worth the extra money for the internal GPS.

Nice thing about the PLb as a backup is that you can use it remotely very easily (eg I bring it on off shore trips on other peoples boats as well as if I'm chartering in certain areas (eg carribean) and want that extra piece of mind.

Hope this helps.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
J-Sea said:
Vero - ACR ResQkink Plus is a 406mhz GPS personal locator beacon that is bouyant and with an internal GPS and is approx. $269 at west marine; ACR Epirb global Ifix Pro Category II Manual Release uses the same 406mhz spectrum and is like $469 at west marine. The epirb battery lasts 48 hours while the plb lasts 24 hours. I believe the batteries are due for replacement every 5 years. Both of these use 406mhz signaling technology as well as GPS positioning. if you will be running offshore it definitely makes sense to purchase the epirb first (in my opinion) and then when budget permits, to have the plb as a backup. As an alternative, you can also buy a category I epirb which has a hydrostatic release and deploys automatically if the boat sinks. You should be aware that there are also cheaper epirbs out there with more dated technology (eg it does not have an internal GPS). Don't hold me to exact quotes here but the epirb with the internal GPS will send the cavalry to within a few hundred feet of your exact location while the cheaper versions without internal GPS (assuming they are not manually connected to your boats GPS with a cable) send the rescue squad to within a one to two square mile area. Worth the extra money for the internal GPS.

Nice thing about the PLb as a backup is that you can use it remotely very easily (eg I bring it on off shore trips on other peoples boats as well as if I'm chartering in certain areas (eg carribean) and want that extra piece of mind.

Hope this helps.

J-Sea, thanks very much for that explanation. Just what I need to know!