Please Advise

flipper25

Reaction score
I have a 1994 25 Dolphin with 03 FS225s. I am in the market for new electronics. I want to purchase the multifuncition display units with open array radar and chartplotter and depth/fish finder. I have not made a decision as to what brand I am going to go with. This is my question I have 2 batteries and 2 switches. I have heard that these MFDs with radar use alot of juice. Should I go for 4 batteries and 2 switches? and if I do is it a major electrical issue? Will I benifit from it? Is this the right thing to do? I have a feeling that the sales staff at my local marine store will sell anything to make a sale. Thank you to any one that replys

bc282

Reaction score
There are some really good deals on electronics right now if you are not looking for the latest and greatest. Raymarine has their E's and G's out so C series are selling for less, Garmin bundles are "real" cheap as their 5000 series are tops, ditto for Lowrance.

I'd definitely go for the largest screen you can fit.

4 batteries is over kill IMO. On my 282 i have 3 24 series batteries and have not any issues. I run a bunch of electronics, stereo (regular stereo and not some crazy sound system that requires serious juice), radar and a pair of elec. downriggers pulling 15# balls.

Most people do not run their radar all the time, only when they need to in limited light or fog conditions. Radars are 2Kw, 4Kw, etc but do not consume continuous the full 2000 or 4000 watts.

When running multi batteries, have the engines off of one or two batteries and the other bank swithched for house use. avoid running batteries in the "both" position as you may accidentally deplete ALL your batteries (leave lights on, stereo, etc overnite).

flipper25

Reaction score
thank you

I really appreciate your responce. I wil stay with 2 batts and 2 switches the way it came from the factory.

LI Grady

Reaction score
Also keep in mind what are you going to run with the motor on and what with it off. You'll likely only use the radar while running (if drifting in fog you may leave it on in "guard" mode), the VHF, fishfinder and chartplotter on the other hand are (at least on my boat) always on, but generally don't use that much power.

Add up the power consumption of all your units and you'll see how much juice you'll need.

BTW I've had a Lowrance Global Map 5000C on my Pacemaker for about 5 years now. Great unit, but I have to be honest and tell you that Lowrence's customer service is the pits. I'm refitting a 1990 Marlin and while tempting will most likely not go with Lowrance again.