Please help! Refurbishing old Tournament 192 and clueless

Lbandrew

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hi all, we have been gifted a dilapidated Grady (1997 Tournament 192) that sat, uncovered and untouched, for approximately 15 years. We’ve made a LOT of progress but are now focused on the interior. Engine runs great and it is structurally sound. But we are very new to boats and aren’t really sure where to start aside from new seats and some exterior wax.

There are some replacement parts we are looking for but have been unable to or have no idea how to find. Just to name a few, the storage door at the bow, dash trim teak, rear seat bottoms. Not sure if there a website that would have these parts or are we stuck with sourcing old ones or DIY?
Also, another dumb question, can the rub rail be a doable DIY project for us or is that something we should have done professionally? Thanks for any help - we are total clueless newbies. A few pictures attached.

Attachments

• A1B7DF08-5B6F-419A-A475-B5C09329F5FD.jpeg
    A1B7DF08-5B6F-419A-A475-B5C09329F5FD.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 4A251994-D5C2-4E1C-89A0-9426C3FE35F1.jpeg
    4A251994-D5C2-4E1C-89A0-9426C3FE35F1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 74
  • 49966575-227F-445D-96AE-164E1FA9EB0A.jpeg
    49966575-227F-445D-96AE-164E1FA9EB0A.jpeg
    968.2 KB · Views: 74

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Welcome aboard!

I can't believe you ruined a perfectly good nature garden just to make a silly boat out of it! :)

How's the transom and bang plate? How about the motor well and transom drains? Are the brass tubes corroding?

The back-to-back seat... look at companies like Wise - they make a lot of aftermarket seats and you can probably find something that will work.

The storage door... do you mean in the companion way on the stbd side or the anchor locker hatch?

Seat bottoms... likely going to need to have those made. Starboard or PVC board for the base - make a template from cardboard or foamboard insulation from HD/Lowes. Then have a local upholseter add the foam and the vinyl skin.

Teak trim... google will be your friend. You'll find places that sell it by the foot.

What's wrong with the rubrail?

Looks like you're missing the center windshield - my parents just picked up an '00 192 and I'm currently working on it... they're missing the center windshield, too.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good start, and good luck! Strange to see one without an access door in the walkway, to the passenger side console. That's good storage, but you have to get on your hands and knees from the back, or reach through from the bow seat on that one. I never opened that rear access on the 22 I just sold more than twice in 10 years.
Where are you located? Questions would be easier to answer if everyone put their location in their profile, but that's a losing battle.

Attachments

• 3DB3566A-CB42-458B-B1EC-603B5C1A5C78.jpeg
    3DB3566A-CB42-458B-B1EC-603B5C1A5C78.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

Joe Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Tigercat
I would get the plastic thru hull fittings replaced #1. Get the transom checked for moisture #2. Inspect the gas tank #3. Watch some Drakes boat detailing videos #4. Drink less beer when responding to great Grady posts at 12 am like myself

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Looks like a fun project, and nice work so far. Good advice from others thus far in terms of major things to look at. Everything is fixable, and you don’t have to do it all at once. Get it to where you can use it on the water and you can fine tune it from there at the dock or in between splashes. Enjoy!

MooseheadDoc

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Great start.

A few comments and suggestions about little stuff. More knowledgeable members have touched on the important things above.

1. Trim: Not sure if your "teak" on the dash is actually teak wood, or the same product as the rest of your interior trim (as on my '93 Adventure). If so, it is "Duratrim"- a synthetic trim product. There are lots of threads on this site about working with it. It is pretty easy to work with- mostly just like wood. Personally, I removed all of mine, sanded it down aggressively, and painted in with a 1-part marine epoxy paint (3 coats total, 1 pre-kote and 2 finish coats). This was pretty quick, easy, not too expensive (the paint is expensive, but a little goes a long way), and gives a high quality finish. I used "Hatteras White", which is pretty close to the Grady White white.

2. Seat/floor: Totally a matter of personal preference, but have you considered not replacing the back-to-back seat? The added cockpit space in the small boat looks great IMO. If you plan to fish it also gives you more room. A few good portable boat chairs could work well. Consider filling those holes in the deck quickly in any event. You can always redrill them later, but until then they're just a way for water to get into the deck core. BTW- any deck soft-spots currently?

3. The chips and dings on the some of the hatches (ie- behind the helm seat) are easy to deal with if/when you choose to. Again, lots of threads on this site. One from my experience is:

Good luck, and enjoy the boat!

Joe
Beaver Cove, ME

Topjimmy

Reaction score
looking good yep the duratrim is crap stuff and fades easy I just sanded mine down a little and covered it with spar and it looks good still after 2 years if ya need measurements of the back jump seats let me know so ya can make new ones as far as the missing seat lounge seat goes I just bought a new lounge seat for 180 bucks and I could tell ya the right ones to get but if it was just my choice and not my wife I would get a second pedestal seat like was said above it would really open it up in there any other info ya need let me know I have all the original manuals etc... for my 1994 for wiring etc..they are great boats mine has never broken down since 1994 (it ran sick a few times) and the hull is still in great shape ENJOY

Last edited: