Please Help. This price seems WAY too high.

JJRJR

Reaction score
I've posted a few questions about my engine bracket restoration project. Many of you have given me some great advice, for which I thank you.

I just got an estimate from my marina to do the job. $3,500 seems crazy. They are charging $2,650 to remove and re-install the twin 150's, remove the bracket, refinish it with Awl Grip and clear coat. Reseal the bracket access hatches, cut out corroded bolts, re-attach bracket with new Stainless hardware and re-seal everything.

While I'm sure it will look great when done, that seems excessive to me.

Realistically how many hours should it take a marina to remove and replace twin outboard engines? I was thinking they can have those off the boat in a few hours, another 3 hours or so to re-install everything, then maybe a day (8 hours) to rework the bracket.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seems high to me also. Where are you? I can recommend a service but they are in Panama City Beach.

suzukidave

Reaction score
it's within the range of what i would guess a marina would try to charge.

my experience is that a lot of boat places will charge an owner a premium for a turn key job. the more you ask them to do the more the cost of each element seems to rise. also beware of any boat job that is allowed to drag on over time. if you leave a boat with any shop for long the price seems to rise.

keeping in mind the marina is charging a markup on each trade they are using, i think you will get a better deal if you took care of each step yourself. get an outboard place to derig the motors and store them and throw in a service. get a boatyard to pull the bracket. take the bracket to the blasting shop and then the paint shop yourself and then get the boatyard to reinstall. return the boat to outboard place and re-rig. i will guess you will save $1000 and also have qc and accountability for every stage.

fishbust

Reaction score
Price seems on target from here. Probably even a great deal as it will not be only 1 guy working on it for the duration and there are always surprises along the way, help will be needed at times. Marina's around here are at $150 an hour, puts their quote on target, barring no nightmares along the way. There will be much prep work and the paint needs to cure afterwards. If you think that job will take anything less than 3 days start to finish done right and all pretty and turn key, do it yourself and save a few grand. You can drop the gearcases and remove the motors yourself with a table jack for a $200 dollar investment and if you are working by yourself with spare time in and out of the boat, you will have it all done the same way all pretty within 2 weeks and your pockets will be full of money.

Either way, post progress pics of the project.

gw204

Reaction score
You saw how I went about my bracket refinishing. It cost me $500 to have the bracket painted and probably $100 in gas to tow the boat to the painter. I pulled and reinstalled the engines myself. Done.

There is no way in hell I would pay what you have been quoted.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm
And what would the final tab be after all the de-rigging, uninstall, prep, re-install, and re-rigging? I'm thinking $2650 isn't out of line for 'quality' work. I would have the old bracket powder coated, however ...

lime4x4

Reaction score
I pulled both my engines off my offshore. Removed the bracket and had it sand blasted and line-xed cost was 410.00 bucks. 1 tube of 3m 5200 12 bucks. All new stainless steele mounting bolts, washers and nuts 65 bucks

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree that price seems to be high for what you have stated you want done. You should probably get several more written estimates before committing to any one place. Be sure they spell out exactly what is/is not included in work, so they don't try to bang you once everything is apart. I'm so glad I do all my own maintenance and avoid those excessive fees.

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It cost me a little north of 1,000.00 to have the plastic plug replaced on my Gil bracket. I have a 228G. Granted the marina spent a lot of time cleaning out the inside. My best advice is to never never remove that drain plug unless you are extremely competent and suspect that it may be leaking.

REEL NAUTI

Reaction score
The shop by me wanted to charge $3,450 and in the quote said removal and refinishing of outboard bracket "only" Never said anything about de-rigging the boat. Its a pricey repair. I've been looking to have mine done and would love to do it myself but I just don't have the time.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks all. I decided to have them do it. They are doing a nice job. Going slowly, but it's looking good. The pulled the motors off with a crane and left them rigged up so they could get the the entire bracket. Guy told me that the inside is foam and there wasn't any significant water inside. Not bad for a 1992.

It needs two new pie plates which they are installing. Tomorrow they put on the Awl Grip top coast then clear sealer. So far, so good.

Yes, a new bracket is about that much money, but then you have to pay to install, fix transom holes, drill new holes, etc. That route has to be $5,000 or so.

Thanks again,

John

fishbust

Reaction score
Very good, some people do not have the means or the time to do that job. It was a great idea on their part and having the equipment to tie up a crane for the job and leaving them rigged. Will save time and money. Looking forward to seeing pics!