Pod Replacement on a 232?

X-Land

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
We have a 2000, 232 and the pod/ engine bracket is taking on water (like 75 litres over time). It ends up sitting with the waterline at the top of the pod and the engine (300hp) sitting low. We have to drain it frequently.
I'm wondering if anyone has had success fixing or foaming the original pod or should we start new? If new, any recommendations on type, shape or manufacturer? I see Grady has stuck with the narrow centre pod vs a wider version that can support the kicker (20 hp) and give more hull length.
New to the group so I tried to search for similar posts, but I was not successful ...

seasick

Reaction score
Forget about foaming. All that will do is make a bracket full of very heavy/soggy foam. You nee to find the leak. To do so, generally you have to open an access plate and look inside for evidence of water staining. Run water from a hose over the areas of the bracket that attack to the transom and while doing that, look inside for leaks.
Check engine mounting bolts too. Of course you cam get a full width bracket, off the shelf or custom made but it will cost. Add to that the labor and it can be a hefty investment.
Unless the existing bracket has corroded and has holes in it, you can probably fix the problem You may need to derig and remove the motor though.

X-Land

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Forget about foaming. All that will do is make a bracket full of very heavy/soggy foam. You nee to find the leak. To do so, generally you have to open an access plate and look inside for evidence of water staining. Run water from a hose over the areas of the bracket that attack to the transom and while doing that, look inside for leaks.
Check engine mounting bolts too. Of course you cam get a full width bracket, off the shelf or custom made but it will cost. Add to that the labor and it can be a hefty investment.
Unless the existing bracket has corroded and has holes in it, you can probably fix the problem You may need to derig and remove the motor though.
Thanks Seasick, definitely will try to identify the leak in the short term, but thought closed cell foam would be a good back up to fill the void and reduce the amount of water that could occupy the void if it continued to leaked. Still looking for a better pod design in the long run...

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've heard of filling with ping pong balls to displace the water that is getting in.

seasick

Reaction score
I've heard of filling with ping pong balls to displace the water that is getting in.
I have also heard of the pink pong balls. The Mythbusters did an episode where they refloated a sunken hull by blowing thousands of ping pong balls into the vessel's cabin. Cute but not practical:)
In any case, I wonder how well ping pong balls would hold up in the sea water rock and roll environment.

X-Land

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have also heard of the pink pong balls. The Mythbusters did an episode where they refloated a sunken hull by blowing thousands of ping pong balls into the vessel's cabin. Cute but not practical:)
In any case, I wonder how well ping pong balls would hold up in the sea water rock and roll environment.
Haha, ya I think closed cell foam if we go for the temporary fix. Thanks guys!

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
another un-orthodox short term remedy would be to buy a large beach ball and stuff it in the bracket, then inflate it.

seasick

Reaction score
Or a longer term fix would be to locate the leak and fix it:)
The obvious spot is often the access hole cover.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
How about hauling it, then fill it up with a garden hose? That shoul tell you a lot

Reactions: X-Land

julesar

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Had same issue w/ my 2006 232. Bracket was full of water and waterline was at the top of the bracket itself. Hauled the boat, installed new threaded drain plug on the bottom of the the bracket, filled the bracket w/ fresh water and waited to see where she leaked. Turned out it was the seal on the bottom right side of bracket where it met the hull. So, I sanded the area down, pried out the old caulking from the seam where she was leaking, and then recaulked the seam with LifeSeal. Once dried, I filled the bracket again to insure that it was no longer leaking and POOF....dry as a bone. I also took the time to recaulk the access port on the top of the tank. My boat now sits correctly and I have no water intrusion into the bracket. Hope this helps.

X-Land

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Had same issue w/ my 2006 232. Bracket was full of water and waterline was at the top of the bracket itself. Hauled the boat, installed new threaded drain plug on the bottom of the the bracket, filled the bracket w/ fresh water and waited to see where she leaked. Turned out it was the seal on the bottom right side of bracket where it met the hull. So, I sanded the area down, pried out the old caulking from the seam where she was leaking, and then recaulked the seam with LifeSeal. Once dried, I filled the bracket again to insure that it was no longer leaking and POOF....dry as a bone. I also took the time to recaulk the access port on the top of the tank. My boat now sits correctly and I have no water intrusion into the bracket. Hope this helps.
Thanks Julesar, sounds like the route we should take. I pull it this week!
Thanks everyone.