polaroid glasses and reading instruments

Old Lion

Reaction score
Does anybody have a suggestion for a good set of polaroid sunglasses which will permit the user to read LCD screens? I can't read my instruments without lifting my polaroid sunglasses.

Grady Again

Reaction score
I have Costa Del Mar with the grey lens and do not have a problem reading LCD screens unless I turn my head sideways so that the glasses are vertical and not horizontal. I think this is the case with any polarized sunglasses. 8)

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
me three. only problem is when i turn my head sideways, which i'm not sure why i would do that in the first place :shock:

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The problem is with your LCD screens, not your sunglasses. Sunglasses have to be polarized to block light reflected off the water and ground, otherwise they are worthless. Most new LCD screens are polarized on the diagonal, so they'll go black when your head is tilted on a 45 degree angle to the screen but can be viewed in both portrait and landscape orientation (depending on how the electronics manufacturer designs the instrument). Some of the older screens are polarized vertically or horizontally, so they can either be viewed in portrait or landscape, but not both. If you've got one of those, not much you can do except get new electronics. The GPS unit that came with our boat was like that. I had to turn my head sideways or take off my glasses to see the thing. It was replaced very quickly.